Mac Mail not working

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Last Friday my mail just decided to stop sending or receiving mail. I've checked the preferences with our server company and they can't figure out what's wrong. Luckily, I was able to get hooked up through the web so I've been able to keep working but this is so frustrating! Can anyone help???

I'm on a PowerBook G4 Mac OS X version 10.5.2 recently upgraded to Leopard. Running the standard fare of software including Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, iLife, etc. Nothing out of the norm that would effect the mail.

Many thanks!

Dawn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    toymakertoymaker Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Greenkow View Post

Last Friday my mail just decided to stop sending or receiving mail. I've checked the preferences with our server company and they can't figure out what's wrong. Luckily, I was able to get hooked up through the web so I've been able to keep working but this is so frustrating! Can anyone help???

I'm on a PowerBook G4 Mac OS X version 10.5.2 recently upgraded to Leopard. Running the standard fare of software including Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, iLife, etc. Nothing out of the norm that would effect the mail.

Many thanks!

Dawn

The first thing I'd do is create a new user on the Mac and set it up to connect to the same mail server with the same email account. If it works, you know it's related to your user account, if not, it's either something wrong with the mail app itself or your mail settings are likely incorrect.

If it turns out that only your normal Mac account is affected, I would try deleting the apple mail preferances, then set up the email account again.

If it is all users that are affected, the easiest thing to do next is to use Disk Utility to check first the Disk Permissions (which is something I'd do after an OS upgrade anyway). That will fix quite a lot of "X program stopped working" problems, but only if they were installed using an Apple installer, ie; it will not fix apps that use Vise installers for example.