Recommend me a PC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My nephew has received a grant to help him purchase the hardware required to develop a computer game.

He has about £750 to spend on hardware, and I thought the Dell XPS420 looked as though it's as good a place to start as any?

I don't know much about what's been happening on the PC side of things, and even less about the hardware required to develop games. Have you guys got any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

My nephew has received a grant to help him purchase the hardware required to develop a computer game.

He has about £750 to spend on hardware, and I thought the Dell XPS420 looked as though it's as good a place to start as any?

I don't know much about what's been happening on the PC side of things, and even less about the hardware required to develop games. Have you guys got any thoughts?

Hello. The first thing is that if your nephew is going to develop a game, he must understand gaming hardware intricately. That means, Dell = fail.

Here's the run down. That is a fricking nice amount of money.

Build from scratch:

Core 2 Duo/Quad (multicore processing is very hot in game development)

2.5ghz or more, overclocked during building process.

Mobo: One of them X38 or something chipsets, preferably Gigabyte.

Graphics: Nothing less than dual nVidia 8800GT 512mb in SLI. 3D is well, critical.

Also multicore in GPUs is pretty hot in the game development scene.

RAM: 4GB, or more.

OS: Gonna have to bite the bullet and go Vista Ultimate or something like that.

For DirectX10 game development, again the latest in town.

All the best. I am not in the UK (yet) so I won't be up to speed on the best place to get components and build teh PC.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

A good development machine is pretty much like any good work/office computer. Quiet, reliable, decent screen space. If there's extra left after that, a fast CPU for compilation is a good place to spend it.

If he does anything graphics intensive, he'll already know what he wants graphics-wise. If not, then any recent graphics chip will do, even a cheap one.

Just for an example, a midrange iMac would probably be fine.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

You didn't mention what kind of game this will be... graphics intensive, is it?