Going to be getting a new iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm gonna be using it primarily in OSX for all my standard uses such as ripping DVD's for my Apple TV however I want to use it on Bootcamp with Winblows XP for gaming, would you say this spec would be good enough to play games such as COD2, BF1942, all your newish typical sort of FPS games.

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB memory

320GB hard drive1

8x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

I'm gonna be using it primarily in OSX for all my standard uses such as ripping DVD's for my Apple TV however I want to use it on Bootcamp with Winblows XP for gaming, would you say this spec would be good enough to play games such as COD2, BF1942, all your newish typical sort of FPS games.

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB memory

320GB hard drive1

8x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB

I have no recommendations, only my congratulations and a hearty welcome to AppleInsider.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have no recommendations, only my congratulations and a hearty welcome to AppleInsider.

Thank you Spam Sandwich, haha, how did you come up with that name? We're you actually eating one when you signed up?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

would you say this spec would be good enough to play games such as COD2, BF1942, all your newish typical sort of FPS games.

Yes. The original Intel iMac could play FEAR, Prey, HL2 etc at pretty decent quality and smooth framerates. It doesn't like things pushed to the max on intense games though, putting FEAR at max made it like a slideshow.

iMacs are adequate gaming machines though.