Stupid Q re. VPN

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is it possible to use any VPN client to connect to any VPN server or should the client and server be from the same company? To clarify: my employers / clients use different VPN softwares, so I have to install various VPN clients on my laptop to be able to VPN into their systems. Can I make do with one VPN client, say VNC or something or do I have to have all these VPN clients?

Told you it was a stupid question

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Is it possible to use any VPN client to connect to any VPN server or should the client and server be from the same company? To clarify: my employers / clients use different VPN softwares, so I have to install various VPN clients on my laptop to be able to VPN into their systems. Can I make do with one VPN client, say VNC or something or do I have to have all these VPN clients?

Told you it was a stupid question

Cheers

Theoretically what I know is that there are common VPN standards like L2TP over IPSEC and PTPP which are used by Leopard. Further in, it gets trickier, I think.

VPN is kinda like a "wrapper" over things like TCP/IP and various stuff that works within that like VNC, HTTP, IMAP, etc.... AFAIK.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thanks nvidia

Cheers