Cheap External Display for a macbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am going to get a macbook this summer (hopefully after they've been upgraded) and I also want to get a compatible 22" LCD to use in my dorm. I am a college student so I need the cheapest one possible but I also need it to work. I've looked around a bit and found the Acer 22" from tigerdirect.com which is around $200 but I have heard that it is not compatible with macs.... (1)is this true? and if this is so (2) what are some other alternatives that are in the same price range that are compatible with macs.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    oordonezoordonez Posts: 1member
    I'm also looking for an (cheaper) alternative to the Apple displays. This is what I've found so far - not as cheap as $200, but definitely much less than $900.

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/...ur_macbook.php

No. 1 - Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP 24-inch Widescreen LCD

Here's a docking stand for the MacBook, once you've purchased the new display.

Hope this helps... and if you go with it, let me know how it worked out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gringo View Post

I am going to get a macbook this summer (hopefully after they've been upgraded) and I also want to get a compatible 22" LCD to use in my dorm. I am a college student so I need the cheapest one possible but I also need it to work. I've looked around a bit and found the Acer 22" from tigerdirect.com which is around $200 but I have heard that it is not compatible with macs.... (1)is this true? and if this is so (2) what are some other alternatives that are in the same price range that are compatible with macs.

Thanks

• Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deryecobe View Post

ohhhhh, really?

Why did you resurrect a three year old thread to say absolutely nothing in your first post here?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why did you resurrect a three year old thread to say absolutely nothing in your first post here?

Weird and the thread got spammed. However, in case anyone clicks this thread to actually find a cheap monitor for a macbook I just got a 23" LG IPS236V for $180 at Best Buy. 1920x1080 eIPS LED screen. Nice for under $200 out the door.

Little bit of lightbleed on mine but not as terrible as reported. It might annoy me if I was watching a lot of movies in the dark but given I've got it driven to 100% brightness I guess it's expected. In normal usage unnoticeable. Uniformity was good on mine.

Ran both a monoprice mDP to HDMI and mDP to DVI cable and it looks good with my MBP. Wished it had mDP but I guess it doesn't really matter. Has audio out but didn't try that as my mDP to HDMI is an early model that didn't support that. I don't see mDP out as a valid audio device on my MBP.

Not the best IPS monitor out there but for $180 it's a great deal.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Weird and the thread got spammed. However, in case anyone clicks this thread to actually find a cheap monitor for a macbook I just got a 23" LG IPS236V for $180 at Best Buy. 1920x1080 eIPS LED screen. Nice for under $200 out the door.

Little bit of lightbleed on mine but not as terrible as reported. It might annoy me if I was watching a lot of movies in the dark but given I've got it driven to 100% brightness I guess it's expected. In normal usage unnoticeable. Uniformity was good on mine.

Ran both a monoprice mDP to HDMI and mDP to DVI cable and it looks good with my MBP. Wished it had mDP but I guess it doesn't really matter. Has audio out but didn't try that as my mDP to HDMI is an early model that didn't support that. I don't see mDP out as a valid audio device on my MBP.

Not the best IPS monitor out there but for $180 it's a great deal.

IPS and LED-backlit for less than $200 sounds attractive indeed.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

IPS and LED-backlit for less than $200 sounds attractive indeed.

There will be more. eIPS is evidently a lot cheaper than sIPS. Of course, the build quality takes a big hit too. The stand is a bit wobbly and has no adjustments other than tilt. The monitor itself is pretty light.

It's a lot different from my old 24" Dell Ultrasharp workhorse that's built like the proverbial tank.

But for $200 it works well enough for me.