Macbook Pro doesn't charge

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited February 2015
My Macbook Pro is not recognizing when my charger is plugged in. The LED on the charger doesn't light up and the computer does not charge. It's not the battery- I can charge it in other computers. It's not the charger- it can charge other computers. I'm 99% sure that the physical connection is good. I've tried resetting the NVRAM (take out the battery, hold down the power button for 5 seconds) but to no avail. I got it to charge yesterday when I connected the power supply with the power off after the battery had been fully drained and the computer was running on reserve power. After charging for a while and running the computer, I shut the computer with the power on to put it to sleep while the charger was connected, and I'm back to the same problem. Anyone have any ideas? I've looked on the web but I haven't found these symptoms where resetting the NVRAM didn't fix it. I'm getting frustrated with this and beginning to lose a little faith in Apple.

Oh, and would you imagine that this happened just outside of the one-year warranty period? Should have bought AppleCare...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Has the battery update 1.3 been installed?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...yupdate13.html

If not, maybe give that a try. I know someone having similar issues to this and they feel the same way. The Macbooks are having battery issues too.

At least its not as bad as the logic board failures in the old models but to be having such widespread power issues is annoying.

I'm not sure if it's Apple problem though or the people they buy the batteries from.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sjdomi2sjdomi2 Posts: 2member
    If I can get it to charge again I will give this a try. Otherwise it won't help me because I need to be plugged in in order to do the update, and my computer doesn't recognize when it's plugged in. Thanks though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    toymakertoymaker Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjdomi2 View Post

My Macbook Pro is not recognizing when my charger is plugged in. The LED on the charger doesn't light up and the computer does not charge. It's not the battery- I can charge it in other computers. It's not the charger- it can charge other computers. I'm 99% sure that the physical connection is good. I've tried resetting the NVRAM (take out the battery, hold down the power button for 5 seconds) but to no avail. I got it to charge yesterday when I connected the power supply with the power off after the battery had been fully drained and the computer was running on reserve power. After charging for a while and running the computer, I shut the computer with the power on to put it to sleep while the charger was connected, and I'm back to the same problem. Anyone have any ideas? I've looked on the web but I haven't found these symptoms where resetting the NVRAM didn't fix it. I'm getting frustrated with this and beginning to lose a little faith in Apple.

Oh, and would you imagine that this happened just outside of the one-year warranty period? Should have bought AppleCare...

This sounds like a problem I'm having with a MacBook Pro right now. The laptop I'm working on will run off the battery alone and off the charger alone, but will not charge the battery.

Will the laptop run off the charger when the battery is not plugged in? Will it run with a charged battery while not connected to the charger? Are you using the proper charger (85w) for the laptop? The 65w charger that comes with the MacBooks will run the Macbook pro, but will not charge the battery while the laptop is running. It will however charge it while the laptop is turned off or asleep.

If not the above, I fear your problem is either the Left I/O board (controls power and some peripheral input/outputs) or the Logic Board (controls everything else), or the connections between the two. Don't take my word as gospel though since I haven't seen the machine physically.
  • Reply 4 of 4

THE LOGIC BOARD IS DEFECTIVE. APPLE CHEAP LOGIC BOARDS. TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVING SIMILAR ISSUES THRU THE YEARS. THEY MADE THOSE TO LAST ONLY 2 YEARS FOR DATE OF PURCHASE. THAT WAY YOU'LL HAVE THE EXCUSE TO BUY A NEW ONE EVERY 2 YEARS.