Is the author's name hidden in a PDF file? If so, how do you find it?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was curious if I created a PDF on the Mac via NWP or Preview if the file would contain traces back to my computer?

How would one go about looking at the file to determine the creator or any hints about the computer or person that created the file?

Any way to strip out any possible data to link it back to the computer or creator?

I ask this because I have seen MS Word documents have hidden information in them with people's names in them. This obviously causes problems when people are passing information around they shouldn't be distributing, Corporate America if you will.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So, you're saying you will be making PDFs of things you shouldn't be, eh?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So, you're saying you will be making PDFs of things you shouldn't be, eh?

Other side of the situation. What if I were a whistle blower though? Could I be found out?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Other side of the situation. What if I were a whistle blower though? Could I be found out?

PDF Specs are available at Adobe to view what is or is not passed. Now that PDF is becoming an ISO Standard you should be able to view what it entails as well.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

PDF Specs are available at Adobe to view what is or is not passed. Now that PDF is becoming an ISO Standard you should be able to view what it entails as well.

Thanks. It is amazing what personal information MS Word files contain. No one ever thinks about that stuff but you have to be careful just so someone doesn't come up with a username or password. Word is really strange about what it keeps hidden.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Thanks. It is amazing what personal information MS Word files contain. No one ever thinks about that stuff but you have to be careful just so someone doesn't come up with a username or password. Word is really strange about what it keeps hidden.

I never use Word. I stopped dealing with that when I left the Windows markets back around 2000.