iTunes music and video on different hard drives

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

I have been using itunes for year, and I really enjoy, but recently I have came across a 'problem' that I can not figure out how to get around. So I am hoping that someone here will be able to help me.

I recently started copying my DVD onto my MBP, and since these files are rather big I am storing them on my Time Capsule, but I want to keep my music folder on my laptop. Now I really like how itunes will keep my music folder consolidated and organized, but now that I am adding movies itunes is mixing my music files with my video files. I can not find away to force iTunes to just organize & consolidate my music but leave my movies on the Time Capsule Hard Drive. I do not have the space for the movies on my MBP. I have gotten use to iTunes organizing my music for me and I really do not want to go back to having to do that myself.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    This sounds like what I'm doing. I have all videos on a NAS, instead of a Time Capsule though. But what you have to do is go into iTunes preferences, under the Advanced tab and uncheck 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library'.

Once you do that, iTunes will just create an alias to the file, instead of copying the file to the MBP. Of course, your videos will not be accessible if you are not connected to the Time Capsule.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

This sounds like what I'm doing. I have all videos on a NAS, instead of a Time Capsule though. But what you have to do is go into iTunes preferences, under the Advanced tab and uncheck 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library'.

Once you do that, iTunes will just create an alias to the file, instead of copying the file to the MBP. Of course, your videos will not be accessible if you are not connected to the Time Capsule.

He loses the "auto-organization" of his music also though. He's trying to avoid that. Unfortunately there's no way to do what he wants. iTunes either organizes everything, or nothing.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

He loses the "auto-organization" of his music also though. He's trying to avoid that. Unfortunately there's no way to do what he wants. iTunes either organizes everything, or nothing.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is my music somehow not organized? Granted, I've not added music to my library in a while, but everything seems to be organized in the playlists that I've set up.