My iControlpad design [feedback]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

I sent this guy my slimmed down design concept for the iControlpad. I hope he listens to my ideas. I'd like to see something more like this. The smaller the better!

Here's his current prototype:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    IMHO, I'd rather not carry around anything thats going to make the iPhone larger. I like the way it is. Seems like it would be a pain answering the phone with something that looks like a PSP. And then trying to put it into your pocket.\
  • Reply 2 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I think the idea is to have something that would slip on and off easily for game play and other functionality where having dedicated buttons and a little something to hang onto trumps portability.

For once, I'm with Ireland on this-- on the desirability of a "game cradle" sort of thing; I bet someone comes out with a retail version that looks a lot like this.

My only thought regarding Ireland's mockup is that it seems more in keeping with the iPhone esthetic to have the side extensions merge seamlessly with phones lines, rather than take that little stepped hump.

And my only fear for a retail version is that the designer would be overwhelmed with the temptation to load up a cradle with dedicated buttons and slots.

Or.... does the SDK give much access to the data port? Maybe Apple has made it so an external device has only limited access to the phone's functions?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

IMHO, I'd rather not carry around anything thats going to make the iPhone larger. I like the way it is. Seems like it would be a pain answering the phone with something that looks like a PSP. And then trying to put it into your pocket.\

It's a third party product for playing games, nothing more. It's not meant to be carried around or fit on your pocket. Although as I said the less bulky this add-on the better.
  • Reply 4 of 12

When a phone call comes in one or both sections could be detached in a matter or seconds.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Well, your latest incarnation is minimizing weight and volume as much as possible. I, on the other hand, am thinking of going the opposite direction. The gaming cradle should have room for 4 AAA batteries for longer game time and recharging the iPhone, stereo speakers, headphone jack, and the obvious game controller buttons.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I think you need to retain the ability for the user to use the device with headphones on by essentially including a jack extender in the left-hand-side controller, e.g.: the controller will plug into the iPhone and the user can plug a pair of headphones into the controller. This will allow users to play games in public?on the subway, bus, etc.?and not interfere with the ability to make and receive calls.

Also, I think using bluetooth would be a mistake, because it would cause an enormous strain on the battery. I would imagine that it would be fairly easy to put a AA or AAA battery in each half of the controller.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post

I think you need to retain the ability for the user to use the device with headphones on by essentially including a jack extender in the left-hand-side controller, e.g.: the controller will plug into the iPhone and the user can plug a pair of headphones into the controller. This will allow users to play games in public—on the subway, bus, etc.—and not interfere with the ability to make and receive calls.

That makes sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobody Special

Also, I think using bluetooth would be a mistake, because it would cause an enormous strain on the battery. I would imagine that it would be fairly easy to put a AA or AAA battery in each half of the controller.

I don't agree with that however. The whole point of this product is to have it be as light as possible. Bluetooth would take some battery away yes, but it would make the device so small, light and simple. Two sealed units that plug into either end of the iPhone and away you go gaming. Also the addition of a little switch for home would be perfect. I'll knock out a new mockup to reflect this.

Seeing as one end is in the dock connector it wouldn't be necessary to have both parts connect over bluetooth. Just the directional pad. That should reduce battery drain a little bit at least.
  • Reply 8 of 12
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I've never user the PSP, so take this for what it's worth: Given how successful the PSP is, I think it might be a good idea to emulate it's keypad layout and design.

Also, I wonder if you could layout the buttons in such a way that the iPhone's built-in sensors, speaker and microphone are usable?
  • Reply 10 of 12
  • Reply 11 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Is that your doing, Ireland?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Is that your doing, Ireland?

No, that's straight from the those guys themselves. That's the new mockup they released today. Get this, they say it's going to cost around $30 WTF!?