Is it safe to buy a 3.06GHZ imac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm thinking of buying a 3.06ghz imac this weekend and am just wondering if you guys think it will be a while before something newer comes out. I realize no one can truly answer this question. I just want to know approximately how long i have until this thing is no longer the best imac. I've had really bad luck with two ipods in the past. Both i bought within two weeks before a new generation was released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akaess View Post

I'm thinking of buying a 3.06ghz imac this weekend and am just wondering if you guys think it will be a while before something newer comes out. I realize no one can truly answer this question. I just want to know approximately how long i have until this thing is no longer the best imac. I've had really bad luck with two ipods in the past. Both i bought within two weeks before a new generation was released.

You may want to pay attention to the typical product release time frames. They are usually discussed quite a bit here on AppleInsider.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    As you can see from the following link, iMacs were just updated recently. This is as good a time as any.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
  • Reply 3 of 9
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    It was just released.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Go for it. It's a pretty fresh product line
  • Reply 5 of 9
    i had been biding my time jumping into the mac scene and was thinking of purchasing one at the beginning of the year. i saw that the macbook pro had been upgraded so i decided to wait. the imac was recently upgraded as well and i received a faster processor and more memory for much less money.

i ended up getting the 24 inch 2.8 ghz imac and i couldnt be happier with it. im coming from a 1.6 ghz centrino notebook and im lovin the big screen. plus i got to join a new fanboy group too. its been a lot of fun this past week getting onto the different forums and reading all of the great things apple does.

if you fellas have any info or helpful websites for this mac n00b then feel free to message me.....def

haha...i feel like i finally joined the club.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    It is bad a55 go for it.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Very safe.

Very, very, very safe. Seriously. It's brand new.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    I totally endorse other positive comments.

It's only just been released. It's a kick-ass machine by any objective standard. It is unlikely to be superceded by anything new for another six months.

In fact, I think I've just talked myself into buying one.

Go for it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Most importantly is you have the nVidia 8 series GPU in that standard, not the ATIs. The nVidia 8's are pretty decent from the 8500GT to 8800s.

On the PC side, two 8500GTs, though on the "lower end", can drive, in SLI, 1600x1200 with 16x CSAA etc. (DirectX 9.0c)

There is a reason why the high end desktops and laptops that Apple offers have nVidia.