Larger Apple multi-touch devices move beyond prototype stage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bukweet

I'd call it the "iPAD".

Would you? Please don't ever work for Apple then. I don't want them getting any of your ideas.

A pad is something a lady uses, and it's not sexy. It will be called Mac touch - cause that's why!
  • Reply 22 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bukweet View Post

I was thinking about this last night... what would happen if you mated an iMac with an iPod Touch....

I predict Ireland will reply to your post with an image.

edit: Doh! I was wrong.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SCOLLAND View Post

If anything, I would suggest that a new form factor will coincide with 'Snow Leopard'.

This rumour gives substance to the rumour that 10.6 will be nerely an 'efficinecy' upgrade as I as sure Steve would love to tell everyone how it runs a full version of OS X incredibly fast with a low power processor, and hours of batterey life.

I'm with you 100%, the Tablet will be released alongside Snow Leopard, which it will run. Snow Leopard will incorporate Leopard (With all the fixes and tweaks) and pervasive Multi-Touch derived from OS X touch (I refuse to call it iPhone OS). Amongst the tweaks will be the efficiency of which you speak.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    I know better than to believe everything that "analysts" say, but the idea of a newer 2.5G iPhone is pretty cool to me.

Is there any advantage to a 3G connection other than a fast data-link? I'm interested in the iPhone because it's a telephone with a full OS and a wi-fi connection, not so much to be able to get internet everywhere. If Apple decided to make a phone with the existing data connection, but the other new features people have been talking about (GPS, videoconferencing, etc) and a smallish SSD (8-16 GB) in a package the same size or smaller -- that would be perfect. Tiny little internet tablet that also works as a phone.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I predict Ireland will reply to your post with an image.

edit: Doh! I was wrong.

• Reply 26 of 91
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    There is ALWAYS a 50/50 chance something will happen.

Skip
  • Reply 27 of 91
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    What else they didn't expect for Monday?!
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Skip

Actually, there's always a 100% chance that SOMETHING will happen!
  • Reply 29 of 91
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Makes sense to me, a 3G version for people who must have it and a cheaper 2G version for people who mostly want to talk. The mid sized tablet is also sensible, but I don't know how much of a cross between an iPhone and a Mac it will be. I think it will be a larger Touch if it exists.

Unless there were must-have features available only on the 3G phone (5 MegaPixel camera, GPS), I'd be perfectly happy with a lower cost 2.5 G.

On the rare occasions where I haven't had wifi access on my touch but need to look something up, existing iPhone speeds are perfectly sufficient.

I think this would be a good approach.

As for 7" tablet?
  • Reply 30 of 91
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:

I either will or won't buy a Ferrari tomorrow but the the chances are not 50% in favour
  • Reply 31 of 91
    maximemaxime Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Quick, hide this thread from Ireland!

They either will or won't release a new device. Hence, 50/50.

Well, even a monkey could have told you that. lol

Hell, I can tell you Apple has a 50/50 chance of launching a rocket to Mars next year. Either they will or they wont! lol
  • Reply 32 of 91
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Mice and faster and more accurate than trackpads. Multi-touch makes no difference to this.

A pen stylus or digitizer is more accurate, but a trackpad is at least as good as a mouse. It's considerably better from a workflow perspective if most of your work is on the keyboard and your "mouse" usage is minimal.

Not sure how multi-touch would add much, but there are some gestures that beat a "standard" configuration. I wish I could use multi-touch in AutoCAD (in OSX as well if I am going to dream).
  • Reply 33 of 91
    cosmic68cosmic68 Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Quick, hide this thread from Ireland!

They either will or won't release a new device. Hence, 50/50.

*gasps*

really? that never occurred to me! are you 80.8% sure?
  • Reply 34 of 91
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Apple should make a Chumby-like device. I'd buy one. I currently use my iPhone for similar purposes, using it at the couch when I am too lazy to get up and go to the computer room.

An Apple Chumby...hmmmm.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    pik.pik. Posts: 5member
    just really want badly e Mac Touch...or Alu Macbook....

come on....
  • Reply 36 of 91
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Something like this to run a full Mac OS X to be used for full wired and wireless presentations:

OQO model2

http://www.oqo.com

Why? Because we do NOT want to carry large and heavy MacBooks (yes, even the MacBook Air is too large and too heavy for us). We want to make Keynote and PowerPoin presentations on our Macs, move them to the new device as NATIVE FILES (NOT EXPORTED OR ELSE) and carry it and ony it in the pocket to the classroom or scientific meeting or whatever and use the device for the videopresentation. Make it with true FireWire and Ethernet ports and we will buy thousands for our University. For that, the new Intel Atom chip could be just great!
  • Reply 37 of 91
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Skip

Actually, there's a 100% chance it will rain
  • Reply 38 of 91
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That chuckle is for both jokes! I say we won't see it. Wu knows nothing. He reads what we say here and comes to conclusions based on our collective consciousness.

Amen to that... He has used a nearly word for word quote from one of my posts here regarding WWDC a few years back..
  • Reply 39 of 91
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There's a 50/50 chance that Shaw Wu loses his job after WWDC. Deal with it, Wu.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

This is very exciting news. It's a question of 'when' not 'if'.

Sorry to disagree, but if the odds are 50-50, then the question is properly if, not when.

(And that's even assuming you believe these guys)