Larger Apple multi-touch devices move beyond prototype stage

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Really? You really just did that? Cos it seems familiar.

Well duh?!
  • Reply 82 of 91
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    As much as I'd love to see a range of tablet devices from Apple I doubt the AI source. Not to say that I don't think Apple is working on something similar, but I'm just not buying into it yet. Although the iron will be Hot if this next iPhone is as spectacular as the first one, and that is IMO the time for Apple to release a tablet/or laptop tablet device. GIve the new iPhone just enough time to stir up another huge BUZZ, and then release the new device a month and half later.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Ok, I understand the numbers between CDMA and GSM usage worldwide. But really how hard would it be fore Apple to release a CDMA iphone and a GSM iphone? Other companies don't seem to have an trouble making 2 versions of the same phone in either GSM or CDMA in order to cover multiple carries. Sure CDMA might be going out of style but you'd be a moron to think it's going to be within the next 5 years. Try 10 or 15 years. There is a lot of infrastructure and money that would need to come into play for these companies to switch technology and that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Compare that to the average lifespan of a cell phone which is about 2 years and I'd say Apple has at least two or three generations of iphones they could offer on CDMA before they need to close shop of that.

Calling CDMA a dead platform is about as smart as calling mac a dead platform at this point in time.

Even if the CDMA iphone only sold in the US, Apple stands a chance to make a lot of money off of it.

Another point to make, someone earlier in this thread gave a statistic that read only 5.6% of users out there are on a 3G connection. If Apple is willing to cater a new iphone to only 5.6% then what is the problem with catering to 11% for CDMA usage?

I would also be willing to bet that 11% is a worldwide number, here in the US I would guess that number is closer to 45% CDMA usage or more. Apple always releases to the US first. I don't see what the issue is here.

I don't see why anyone here would not want Apple to release a CDMA version of the iphone along side the GSM version. Unless you just want to be greedy and not share.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

As much as I'd love to see a range of tablet devices from Apple I doubt the AI source. Not to say that I don't think Apple is working on something similar, but I'm just not buying into it yet. Although the iron will be Hot if this next iPhone is as spectacular as the first one, and that is IMO the time for Apple to release a tablet/or laptop tablet device. GIve the new iPhone just enough time to stir up another huge BUZZ, and then release the new device a month and half later.

That makes more sense than a tablet coming at WWDC, besides I doubt they had the time to complete their tablet OS, being that it will be practically, if not a full-blown Mac. I suspect Steve will tease, or give a small demo, but I don't expect Mac touch (running snow-Leo) until Macworld '09. That gives them 6 months from now! Cutting it fine but if they work hard enough it will be enough time.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Ok, I understand the numbers between CDMA and GSM usage worldwide. But really how hard would it be fore Apple to release a CDMA iphone and a GSM iphone?

It wouldn't be very hard at all from an R&D perspective.

Quote:

Other companies don't seem to have any trouble making 2 versions of the same phone in either GSM or CDMA in order to cover multiple carries. Sure CDMA might be going out of style but you'd be a moron to think it's going to be within the next 5 years. Try 10 or 15 years. There is a lot of infrastructure and money that would need to come into play for these companies to switch technology and that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Compare that to the average lifespan of a cell phone which is about 2 years and I'd say Apple has at least two or three generations of iphones they could offer on CDMA before they need to close shop of that.

Calling CDMA a dead platform is about as smart as calling mac a dead platform at this point in time.

Even if the CDMA iphone only sold in the US, Apple stands a chance to make a lot of money off of it.

All very good points.

Quote:

Another point to make, someone earlier in this thread gave a statistic that read only 5.6% of users out there are on a 3G connection. If Apple is willing to cater a new iphone to only 5.6% then what is the problem with catering to 11% for CDMA usage?

Worldwide 3G usage is going up steadily, while CDMA usage is decreasing worldwide, albeit slowly. If we were to only look at the worldwide percentage of 3G usage among smartphones that percentage would shoot up dramatically.

Also, with a 3G iPhone hitting about 40 countries this year, companies like RiM releasing their first 3G models for GSM networks this year while entering more countries such as China, and all the other manufacturers including a larger 3G catalog, especially in the US, we are bound to see a much higher percentage by next year.

Quote:

I would also be willing to bet that 11% is a worldwide number, here in the US I would guess that number is closer to 45% CDMA usage or more. Apple always releases to the US first. I don't see what the issue is here.

The percentage of CDMA subscribers is actually quite a bit higher in the US.

In Millions of subscribers...
    71.4 (AT&T) + 30.8 (T-Mobile)= 102.2 (GSM)

13.17 (Alltel) + 53.8 (Sprint-Nextel) + 80.37 Verizon-Alltel = 134.17 (CDMA)

102.2 (GSM) + 134.17 (CDMA) = 236.37 (~Majority of US carriers)

102.2 / 236.37 = 0.4323729745737615 = 43% (GSM)

134.17 / 236.37 = 0.5676270254262385 = 57% (CDMA)

(This does not include the other 175 carriers and MVNO subscriber base)
    Quote:

I don't see why anyone here would not want Apple to release a CDMA version of the iphone along side the GSM version. Unless you just want to be greedy and not share.

I know you are joking but that is actually a legitimate reason. Remember that Apple has a contract with AT&T for an undisclosed amount of time. One of the first things I would have asked for if I were running the AT&T negotiations would be exclusivity for the US market, which excludes an alternative, CDMA version.

Another possibility is that Apple doesn't like to have a confusing a product line. They like to have product that works everywhere. As with most electronics these days, they work with 110/220 power and the have only a removable plug as a differentiator. They even one version of Mac OS X for consumers that contains all language packs and works on 32-bit and 64-bit PPC and Intel machines. Of course, keyboards have different letters, but I gaurantee that as soon as OLED keys are feasible they will include those as they will make the difference between HW builds even smaller. (speculation)
  • Reply 86 of 91
    dave_mdave_m Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

There's a 50-50 chance that Apple will introduce new form factor multi-touch devices at its developers conference next week, ushering the company into the ultra-mobile computing space, one Wall Street analyst says.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

Is that what all those boxes at Quanta Computers are?

They look a little large to just contain an iPhone..new iNote tablet??!!

Maybe a new Mac Mini with early Nehalem chips?

I can but dream

Here's hoping Steve will put on a good show tommorrow at the WWDC.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post

Is that what all those boxes at Quanta Computers are?

They look a little large to just contain an iPhone..new iNote tablet??!!

Maybe a new Mac Mini with early Nehalem chips?

They are also too big for Mac mini or any MacBook line. They appear to be the exact same size as the iMac boxes, but we know those were jsut updated recently. I'm thinking they probably contain 36 iPhones in each box.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    Tim Wu: iPhone central to "future of the Internet"

Wu makes many valid points but I think he is off target with some things.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    I swear if Apple introduces a tablet like device tomorrow I will dance a jig!!
  • Reply 90 of 91
    texadiantexadian Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I don't really care where you were born or where you trade stock. What I do know is that you can't add up and you certainly don't understand anything about business, which makes my think you probably lose money on 3 continents too.

You asked why Apple released something that only one third of people can use, I pointed out that only 10 or so percent of people use CDMA and that in your calculations you seemed to ignore the whole world except the US. Since the rest of the world is pretty hard to miss if you're not congenitally stupid, I suggest you dial back your outrage. 450 million users is only a small fraction of the 3.5 billion users of cell phones out there. Go, try it out on your calculator (or maybe your fingers since you don't seem to have a good calculator), check my maths.

You notice how no one supports your numbers on here? ncee posted some numbers I suggest you take at look at them and start scratching your head and think of ANOTHER crappy response. You are arguing for arguing sake and I have grown bored of you. I admitted that I wasn't clear in my first post that I was using the USA as the example NOT the whole world. Further more have you noticed that I actually back most of my statements with either research studies or statistical data where as you just bark out your comments like a dog? I wish you all the best in the future and hope all is well with you. I was not out to make you an enemy or bad mouth you or even belittle your ideas or opinions. I was only expressing mine and I take no offense to someone who does not share my ideas. If you want to continue the debate then bring some..... supporting evidence to the table rather than your bantering and sub pare arguments that have no backing.

Have a nice day

ps you were right about my math though; First I meant 1% not 10% Second I missed a zero when I looked at it so sorry

The math problem is as follows:

1% of 451 Million = 4,510,000

4.51 Million x $299 (price used for iphone) = 1,348,490,000

So actually it is 10 times more then I posted.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I swear if Apple introduces a tablet like device tomorrow I will dance a jig!!

Ireland and you can start a dance troop.