Drobo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone have any experience of using a Drobo ? if so, what are your impressions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I have the 2nd gen Drobo. It's connected it to a 24" iMac 2.16 Core2Duo via firewire 800 (BTW, Dell was selling Drobo at a $75 discount). Two 640GB western digital drives loaded easily and Drobo basically configured itself. I transferred my iTunes library over to Drobo without incident. For fun, I started playing a movie in iTunes, and I pulled out one of the drives from Drobo to see if it indeed lives up to its advertisement. The Dashboard software immediately informed me that one of my drives had "failed" and I needed to replace it ASAP in order to avoid losing data. Plugged the drive back in and order was instantly restored. I'm watching some terabyte sized drives and plan to add one or two to the mix to expand storage enough to replace an old USB drive that I'm using as an archive drive for documents and old projects. Seeing how well Drobo has worked thus far, I have no reservations about using it for my primary external drive. Hope this helps.