cd won't eject

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I Can't eject my cd. When I try it says: THE DISK IS IN USE AND COULD NOT BE EJECTED. TRY QUITTING APPLICATIONS AND TRY AGAIN. When I open Force Quit Applications it is not listed. I can't hold the mouse button OR press CNTRL/OPT/F/O when restarting as I have wireless mouse & keyboard.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hollandfamily View Post


    I Can't eject my cd. When I try it says: THE DISK IS IN USE AND COULD NOT BE EJECTED. TRY QUITTING APPLICATIONS AND TRY AGAIN. When I open Force Quit Applications it is not listed. I can't hold the mouse button OR press CNTRL/OPT/F/O when restarting as I have wireless mouse & keyboard.



    For future reference, help requests should go to the "genius bar" forum.



    The CD doesn't appear in the list of applications because it's not an application. One (or more) of the applications that does appear in that list has an open file on the CD and it therefore cannot be ejected (the application in question would get upset about that).



    I expect that it's probably the Finder.



    To find out which application(s) have open files on that disk, you need to open terminal (found in /applications/utilities (make Finder the active application and press shift-command(apple)-U and that'll open the folder for you)) and type the following command:



    lsof | grep "CDNAME"



    where you should replace CDNAME with the name of the CD as it appears on your desktop (for example, if the name of your CD was "hollandfamily's seriously good CD", you'd enter the command:



    lsof | grep "hollandfamily's seriously good CD"



    What will appear (after a while) is a list of all processes that have an open file on that disk. You then know which application you need to quit.



    Hope that helps!



    In case anyone cares:



    lsof is a command line utility that lists open files, the | symbol is what's called a "pipe" and redirects the output of the program on the left (in this case "lsof") to the program on the right (in this case "grep"). grep is a command line utility that searches text for a provided pattern, and reproduces the lines in which that pattern is found. So, here, you are searching for the text "hollandfamily's seriously good CD" in the output of lsof and printing only those lines that contain that text - it's like a filter. Run lsof by itself and then the one with the pipe and grep to see the difference.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Sorry posted wrong spot(my 1st forum). Thanks for your help. I tried the lsof | grep thing, but it didn't list anything open. It just went back to: Macintosh:~ HollandFamily$ . Any other ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hollandfamily View Post


    Sorry posted wrong spot(my 1st forum). Thanks for your help. I tried the lsof | grep thing, but it didn't list anything open. It just went back to: Macintosh:~ HollandFamily$ . Any other ideas?



    Hmmm, and it still says that the disc is in use?



    Presumably you have tried restarting?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    yes, numerous times.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hollandfamily View Post


    yes, numerous times.



    Hmmm.



    O.K., let's have some more info before proceeding:



    What Mac do you have?

    What system (e.g. 10.4.11) are you running?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Mac OS X

    Version 10.5.3

    2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hollandfamily View Post


    Mac OS X

    Version 10.5.3

    2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo



    You could try this, found via MacOSXHints.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    You could try this, found via MacOSXHints.



    OK, I tried that. It said - Error: disk could not be ejected, hdiutil: couldn't unmount :disk1" - error 49153.
Sign In or Register to comment.