Two Routers

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm wondering if anybody here has two wireless routers in their home. Currently I have verizon fios and there wireless router is garbage. If you plug into the router then the speed is great. The wireless is so slow and I hate it. I'm thinking about purchasing and Airport Extreme Base, but I don't know if that will work with the Verizon router.

If there is anybody here that has done this configuration then it would be very helpful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    The important thing is that you cannot have two DHCP servers running on one network.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    You need a ADSL modem and a wireless router. Why do you need 2 routers?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Multiple DHCP servers doesn't matter at all as long as they are giving out leases with that have properly configured scopes.

There shouldn't be any reason why 2 routers would be an issue. Use the Verizon router to plug directly into your FiOS. Then plug the Time Capsule/Airport into the Verizon (you'll need a crossover cable if the two don't auto negotiate). You won't use the WAN port on the TC/Airport.

Configure your laptop to only connect to the Time Capsule/Airport wireless. If you can turn off the wireless on the Verizon do so. If you can't, at least set the channel to 1 on Verizon and then 11 on the TC/Airport.

Does Verizon require that you use their router for a modem? Ask Verizion if they can configure their router in bridge mode. If they can, then plug the Time Capsule/Airport into the Verizon.