Library folder for apps :::

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If a program makes a folder in the system library folder, is there anyway to move it into my "home" library folder w/out the program screwing up?

how do i change the palce where it looks for its' files? or am i unable to do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    If an app is hard-coded to look in a specific place for files, you're stuck. I assume you are referring to what I said if you other thread(s), no? Believe me, there's nothing wrong with apps putting things in the different Library folders if they do it correctly.

You see, as a multi-user OS, Mac OS X's file structure allows there to be settings on a global level and then on a per-user level. If an app puts something in the /Library folder, then it's supposed to be able to be accessed if any user runs that app. If it puts something in /Users/your-name/Library, then those files are you that user only.

Here's an example. Microsoft Office puts its clip art gallery in /Library so everyone can use it. However, it puts user-specific preferences in /Users/your-name/Library so that each user can have their own set of preferences.

That said, NO apps should put anything in /System/Library unless they absolutely need to (like installing drivers for new hardware). This folder is *only* for the system software and no other apps should store any data here whatsoever. If you ever see an app that asks to put something there and you don't know why, don't install it. That is a violation of the security structure Mac OS X puts up.

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    thanks for the ex.!

i guess i'm a bit of a neat-freak. imagine how i feel installing random software on my windoze box ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>guess i'm a bit of a neat-freak.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, no problem at all.

I consider myself a neat freak too and absolutely love that most of my apps are self contained "bundles" in a single icon. I really wish the "big boys" could update their code well enough to use them too, but it's a difficult process updating millions of lines of code. Once you get used to how Mac OS X stores its settings in the different Library folders, you'll probably find it a great boon. I know I did.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    well, with linux i appreciated that also......

but i used it on my old 333mhz k6-2 box, so i didn't use it too often, just wasn't tolerable i guess i'm spoiled...... actually, i'm lying, because i don't even own my own PC @ the moment.

I've been waiting since Oct. to build my 760mpx, but after big debate over which platform to go to for music producing, i'm glad the 760mpx was delayed, which gave me more time to decide i really wanna go apple.......

anyhow, back on to the tangent... ... how about the preference files as someone mentioned earlier? are those easily distinguished? [to delete when i want to] don't they rebuild themselves [upon reboot] if i delete them when the prog. is stil installed?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Preferences. Hmmm.

Well, just about all your application prefs will be stored in your home Library folder, specifically ~/Library/Preferences. The "new" way is to use XML ".plist" files with Java-style names. Most will follow the syntax of:

com.companyname.appname.plist

In fact, here's a snapshot of part of my prefs folder:

However, you will probably find that many apps will use a custom file format and name.

You can delete them with no troubles. The next time you start an app, the default settings will be loaded and you're free to set them as you like again.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ahh! sounds all very nice! a picture is really worth a thousand words ;-)!!!!

very easy to manipulate & delete........

!!!! !!!!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Preferences. Hmmm.

You can delete them with no troubles. The next time you start an app, the default settings will be loaded and you're free to set them as you like again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now I thought somebody when OS X first came out deleted the sound prefs and then couldn't bring up the sound pane in System Preferences (and had to format and reinstall X). Deleting Apps prefs is a valid approach just remember there is a bit more terror involved than with the Classic Mac OS.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>Now I thought somebody when OS X first came out deleted the sound prefs and then couldn't bring up the sound pane in System Preferences (and had to format and reinstall X).</strong><hr></blockquote>What?? :confused:

I've never heard of such a case.

In fact, one of the common "first steps" to solving problems with your system is to move your whole Library folder and move back your settings a few at a time.