Can't eject unresponsive network drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Good day Geniuses,

Here at our talented shop we have a server running windows 2000 and something called samba.. anyway on my iMac I need to access this drive often. As of late when I've mounted that drive it becomes unresponsive to me, but woks fine on the PCs around here. I can try and eject it but this just gives me a warning that the drive is in use by an application even when nothing I can see is waiting. I can't see any folders or files on it and well it just sits there.

Is this enough info? ask me questions.. I really need to solve this issue as my bosses are starting to regret buying me a Mac!

Regards,

filck.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    A few ideas that may or may not solve your problem.

Quote:

In terminal, first type:

"df"

(without the quotes)

this will show the device's name in a list of active volumes, e.g. /Volumes/NAME

note the device's name and then type:

"hdiutil eject -force /Volumes/NAME"

(again, no quotes)

replacing "/Volumes/NAME" with the name of your device

Your drive will safely eject.

source

2. http://web.mac.com/david_housman/For.../Download.html

3. Try relaunching the Finder (->Force Quit...->Finder->Relaunch)

4. Open activity monitor and make it show "All Processes" in the drop-down menu at the top. Sort by Process ID with the highest number at the top. Plug in the drive and see if anything new shows up that might take up a lot of CPU or do something unexpected. (There should be a 'mount' or something similar to it that shows up and then disappears, don't mess with this, as it is what mounts the disk, obviously)

5. Run disk utility when you connect to the disk and do a verify/repair permissions, if possible.

6. http://www.torrfamily.org/tumbleseed...s/eject-disks/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H, modified by Bob for this thread

To find out which application(s) have open files on that drive, you need to open terminal and type the following command:

lsof | grep "NAME" (you do use quotes on this one)

where you should replace NAME with the name of the Drive as it appears on your desktop (for example, if the name of your Drive was "Samba", you'd enter the command:

lsof | grep "Samba"

What will appear (after a while) is a list of all processes that have an open file on that disk. You then know which application you need to quit.

source