Quartz Extreme: is there some kind of NDA???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I ask because most of the posts I've seen are people talking about what they have read, specs, the demo from Steve; but I haven't seen (okay, I may have just missed it) anyone on the board who has hands on experience.

Is there some kind of NDA (non-disclosure agreement) binding people with this type of experience from commenting on their actual use of the Jaguar beta?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Yes, the Jaguar beta and all of WWDC besides the keynote is under NDA.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    of course there is. anyone who has obtained it legally is not allowed to talk about anything.

doing so would break their NDA.

If you want more "hands-on" info MacNN's OS X General Discussion forum had several threads. One had movie that showcased a vast improvement in Quartz performance.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    It was unclear if that improvement was due to general improvements in 10.2 or Quartz Extreme.

From what I have read no one is quite sure if Quartz Extreme has been implimented in the beta.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If Jaguars performance on the clip isn´t at least partly (>50%) dependend on QE Apple have done nothing short of miracles with optimizing X :eek:

I am of the impression that general optimizing is things like Snappier? scrolling in the Finder and other programs, Terminal-over-DVD, optimizing of QT etc. and QE gives faster resizing, genie effects etc. (all things where the window buffer is working overtime). I might be wrong so please correct me if I am wrong.

I suppose it would be rather easy to find out if QE is in the JagBeta. Take a good PM and test it with a rage 128 and then with a supported card. I think it would reveil something...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have eard that the kernel of Jaguar have been optimized , and is faster by an average 20 % factor, without QE.

Afterall, it may be realistic, since OS X who is supposed to be faster than mac os 9 is still slower than it. When OS X will be faster than mac os 9, mac os X will have reach maturity.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Moki has stated on the MacNN forums that QE is implemented in the WWDC release. He also seems to think more tasks will be added to it over time.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    [quote]Originally posted by murk:

<strong>Moki has stated on the MacNN forums that QE is implemented in the WWDC release. He also seems to think more tasks will be added to it over time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm...I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you mean by QE getting more "tasks". I'm a complete amatuer at this stuff, so keep it simple for me.

• Reply 8 of 8
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    LudwidVan:

First, if you are new, you might not know that moki is the president of Ambrosia Software. Second, he was referring to the fact that QE only accelerates compositing, but (at least according to moki) in the future it might actually handle the drawing of interface elements. My guess is he was hinting at the possibilty of a future 3D interface. :confused: But anyway, the point of my post was that moki had confirmed that QE was in the version that is making the rounds. I'm certainly not an expert on QE. I'm just trying to sort it all out, too.

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: murk ]</p>