switching to AT&T

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I know people have already done this topic but I want to get an easier answer

Currently I have verizon and my plan is going to end sept of 2009.

When my plan ends, I am thinking of switching to AT&T for the iPhone. If I switch to AT&T I would be on the $9.99 extra line.

Now my question is is how much would of cost to switch from verizon to AT&T and how much a month would the iPhone cost. I wondering if I am one of the $9.99 lines, can I just upgrade to the iPhone data plan which is $30. Then would my plan be only $39.99 or if I can't do that would I have to say get the minimum minutes which cost $40.00 and get the iPhone data plan which is $30.00 which would make me pay $70.00 a month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    You're a long way off from that switch over. Wait until you're three months out and look again. The rates may all be changed by then.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I with Verizon right now and my contract already ended. I've been debating the switch for a while, but really I might just stay with Verizon until LTE comes into play. Hopefully, by the time you end, the telecom industry will be completely different. 2009, jeez. I would hold out if I were you.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

I with Verizon right now and my contract already ended. I've been debating the switch for a while, but really I might just stay with Verizon until LTE comes into play. Hopefully, by the time you end, the telecom industry will be completely different. 2009, jeez. I would hold out if I were you.

LTE is going to be a while. Before it has applications in the cell phone industry, it may have applications in the ISP industry. Obviously FTTP (Fiber To The Premises) is the future of internet, and Verizon's FiOS service is a good start, but it's going to take a lot of time to lay down the infrastructure for that. In the meantime, we may get Wi-Fi routers that get internet via LTE from an ISP and transmit it to the computers in the router's area.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

o thanks for the advice, i hope by the time my contract is over the iphone can hopfully magically go to verizon and apple can screw at&t
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post

o thanks for the advice, i hope by the time my contract is over the iphone can hopfully magically go to verizon and apple can screw at&t

That's never going to happen with the current iPhone technology. The iPhone 3G is based off of the GSM technology (the most popular standard in the world, by far) whereas Verizon and Sprint operate CDMA networks. Apple would have to create a CDMA version of the phone for it to work with Verizon and Sprint, and I don't see that happening. Looking towards the future (4G/LTE), there has been quite a bit of emphasis on open networks and cross-compatibility between networks. Theoretically, however, you could see the iPhone 3G operating on T-Mobile, although I don't see Apple endorsing that in the near future.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

That's never going to happen with the current iPhone technology. The iPhone 3G is based off of the GSM technology (the most popular standard in the world, by far) whereas Verizon and Sprint operate CDMA networks. Apple would have to create a CDMA version of the phone for it to work with Verizon and Sprint, and I don't see that happening. Looking towards the future (4G/LTE), there has been quite a bit of emphasis on open networks and cross-compatibility between networks. Theoretically, however, you could see the iPhone 3G operating on T-Mobile, although I don't see Apple endorsing that in the near future.

i know thatand that at&t, sprint and a bunch of other carries around the world use differnet types of technology which is faster and urses sim card,

that is why i said hopfully

but my question is how much does it cost to switch from verizon to at&t. And can i get the iphone data plan that is $30 dollars and be a $9.99 line or do i have toget the minimum minutes a month which is 40, with the 30 iphone data plan which would make me pay 70.

so basically can i only pay 40 a month or do i have to pay 70??
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post

i know thatand that at&t, sprint and a bunch of other carries around the world use differnet types of technology which is faster and urses sim card,

that is why i said hopfully

but my question is how much does it cost to switch from verizon to at&t. And can i get the iphone data plan that is $30 dollars and be a $9.99 line or do i have toget the minimum minutes a month which is 40, with the 30 iphone data plan which would make me pay 70.

so basically can i only pay 40 a month or do i have to pay 70??

The $40/month voice plan is the cheapest voice plan period, for any phone with a contract (i.e. not a pay-as-you-Go phone). This is where the minimum of $40 for the voice plan comes in, for an individual plan. If you have a family plan, you pay the standard family plan pricing (which, if I recall correctly is identical to Verizon's family plan pricing), includding the $9.99 for the addition lines on the family plan. If you want to use an iPhone as one of the lines, a $30 data plan is required in addition to the $9.99 per line. So essentially the only cost of switching is the addition of the data plan ($30/month). Also keep in mind that one feature AT&T offers that Verizon doesn't is the Rollover minutes, allowing you to save unused minutes for one month for up to 12 months.