Can't add .mp4 file to iTunes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited July 2014
I'm not new at this - I've successfully put my LOST DVD sets on my iPod in the past. However since then, I've reformatted my iBook and reinstalled all the software on it once or twice, and now I'm running into a weird issue.

I'm running on an iBook G4. Trying to put an .mp4 file I ripped (using an iPod setting via Handbrake) into my iTunes library. I've gotten it to add to an iTunes library on two different PC's running XP and Vista respectively, but when I go to add it to my iBook library, it simply reacts as if I've done nothing at all. No error message, nothing. I went into Quicktime and re-exported the file as an MP4 and found the exact same results.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    drewmgdrewmg Posts: 21member
    Well, I've managed to solve this on my own.

After Googling the issue all day yesterday, I finally came across someone who said that (like me) they'd recently done a system restore. They said that they simply needed to update their version of Quicktime and it worked again.

I didn't initially think that Quicktime was the problem, because the videos I was trying to add were playing fine in the Quicktime Player. However, it appears that version 7.0 of Quicktime didn't communicate with the version of iTunes I was using particularly well, so thus no video.

An update to QT 7.5 did the trick.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    oluckyolucky Posts: 2member

iTunes can handle just about any file format that works with QuickTime and will play any file purchased or downloaded from the iTunes Store. If you've got video files that end with a .mov, .m4v, or .mp4 file extension, you can import them to iTunes with ease. However, the video especially the MP4 video must meet the following specifications: it must be encoded as 540 kbit/s (minimum) MPEG-4 video (H.264) with an approximately 128 kbit/s AAC audio track or encoded as 1.5 Mbit/s (minimum) MPEG-4 video (H.264) with a minimum 128 kbit/s AAC audio track. If not, you will fail to import MP4 to iTunes.

Even if your MP4 files meet the above specifications and are added to iTunes successfully, it may still fail to sync to iOS devices. For iPhones, iPads, and video-capable iPods play videos in more specific video formats and codecs.

In order to successfully add MP4 to iTunes as well as sync MP4 to iPod, iPhone, iPad, we have better convert the MP4 files to both iTunes and iOS supported MPEG-4 format.

• Reply 3 of 6
    oluckyolucky Posts: 2member

iTunes can handle just about any file format that works with QuickTime and will play any file purchased or downloaded from the iTunes Store. If you've got video files that end with a .mov, .m4v, or .mp4 file extension, you can import them to iTunes with ease. However, the video especially the MP4 video must meet the following specifications: it must be encoded as 540 kbit/s (minimum) MPEG-4 video (H.264) with an approximately 128 kbit/s AAC audio track or encoded as 1.5 Mbit/s (minimum) MPEG-4 video (H.264) with a minimum 128 kbit/s AAC audio track. If not, you will fail to import MP4 to iTunes.

Even if your MP4 files meet the above specifications and are added to iTunes successfully, it may still fail to sync to iOS devices. For iPhones, iPads, and video-capable iPods play videos in more specific video formats and codecs.

In order to successfully add MP4 to iTunes as well as sync MP4 to iPod, iPhone, iPad, we have better convert the MP4 files to both iTunes and iOS supported MPEG-4 format.

• Reply 4 of 6

MP4 is a media container format which can be encoded with many different video and audio codecs like DivX, Xvid, H.264, H.263, MPEG-4, AC3, WMA, AAC, etc. While iTunes only support few video and audio codec like MPEG-4 video codec and AAC audio codec; H.264 video codec and AAC audio codec. If the MP4 video is encode with iTunes unsupported video or audio codec, iTunes will not add and play it.

Sometimes, even if the MP4 is in the right video and audio codec that iTunes supports and we can successfully add and play MP4 in iTunes, but if the MP4 video does meet the technical specifications for iOS devices like video size, bitrates, sample rate and etc, we will fail to sync and transfer the MP4 video from iTunes to iPod, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV and etc.

To solve can't add MP4 to iTunes for playing MP4 in iTunes or transferring MP4 to iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, a recommended solution is to convert iTunes unsupported MP4 to a more compatible MP4 video format.

• Reply 5 of 6

• Reply 6 of 6

Old post, still be a problem for iTunes users. Here I'd share something useful I've fg

Though iTunes announced to support MP4 files, we still often encounter iTunes won't import MP4 issue, let alone to play MP4 in iTunes. Actually, MP4 is a media container format which can be encoded with many different video and audio codecs like DivX, Xvid, H.264, H.263, MPEG-4, AC3, WMA, AAC, etc. While iTunes only support few video and audio codec like MPEG-4 video codec and AAC audio codec; H.264 video codec and AAC audio codec. If the MP4 video is encode with iTunes unsupported video or audio codec, iTunes will not add and play it.

To solve can't add MP4 to iTunes for playing MP4 in iTunes or transferring MP4 to iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, a recommended solution is to convert .mp4 (iTunes unsupported) to a more compatible video format with optimal video/audio codec.

You can find video converter app via Google searching. Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac is one paid video converter utility I'm using since Handbrake couldn't work well on my Mac 10.9.