What happened between 10.1 and 10.1.4?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
well I finally got round to finding a mate with broadband connection, so I used the opportunity to DL all the updates to OSX.1 which I bought in sept.

Just for the record, I have stated many times that I would never switch to OSX from OS9, as far as my G4 400 goes, it was (10.1) really lame in the performance stakes.

Well, after I finally got 10.1.4 to install, (took many attempts due to needing security and update installer support files, not to mention the 10.1.3 combo update (this sucks Apple!). Whoa pro go!!!!

Where did all this performance come from? I don't remember any posts about massive increases in Aqua performance here at AI between versions. Did it get better with each release? Going straight from 10.1 to 10.1.4 I really saw a huge leap especially window resizing, now almost perfect.

Also, my only OSX installed app. Canvas 8 really flies and is now at least usable, whereas before It was really painful. Sadly until Cubase SX is released I cant go OSX, but Im sure with the advent of this, and 10.2 I may even be an OSX convert. Thought Id never say that.

All this on a g4 400 Ati rage 128. Hope I can afford a new tower after Macworld (after I built a dual athlon!) Things must really fly on a dual gigger. WTF has everyone been moaning about?

Im almost tempted to stay exclusively Apple, and use the Athlon money to buy a mid range tower (as I only get the low end ones)... If it wasn't for my mates collection of every piecce of PC software you'll ever need. All my Apple S/W is legit. Thats why Im broke!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes, if you have the cash, OS X is the answer. I have, in my mind at least, converted. I experienced 10.1.4 on a 933 with GeForce 2MX yesterday, WOW. I wish I was rich. On iBooks before the Radeon rev, OS X is a joke though. I'm desperate for JagWIRE.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    There is one area that my Dual Gigger smokes my Dual Athlon.

That's Sorenson 3.1 compression