A/C adapter up in smoke! (pic inside)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys,

So I'm working on my MacBook Pro next to my girlfriend's MacBook while eating breakfast, when all of a sudden I hear some hissing sounds come from her laptop. Then suddenly there's a small plume of smoke coming from the MagSafe end, so I go to disconnect it quickly from her laptop and the connection stays on the laptop while the cord comes right off! You can see a picture of it below, taken from my laptop.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Needless to say, this is quite disconcerting, and I'm just happy I was here when all of this happened. As a worst case scenario, I'd have hated to see her entire place potentially burn down with two small puppies in it!

Nonetheless, is there any way that Apple will take care of this issue if I bring it into a retail store, since her laptop is under Applecare? Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Never mind the puppies...what about her MacBook Pro!!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51 View Post

Needless to say, this is quite disconcerting, and I'm just happy I was here when all of this happened. As a worst case scenario, I'd have hated to see her entire place potentially burn down with two small puppies in it!

I think Apple have sorted this issue. I remember reading about some changes made to the magsafe plug but I reckon they should have issued a recall. It's happened to quite a few magsafe adapters. Failing components are one thing but fire hazards endanger lives.

Found the article I read:

http://www.appledefects.com/?cat=33

Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51 View Post

Nonetheless, is there any way that Apple will take care of this issue if I bring it into a retail store, since her laptop is under Applecare? Thanks in advance for your help!

Yeah they should just give you a replacement if you take it into the store.

It's important when pulling the magsafe out to not pull it by the cord, especially not outwards. It's better to hold the plug itself and twist it up/down/sideways.