Problem with Blue & White G3 startup--Help Wanted!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is my very first post, and I'm hoping some of you old-timers have some advice, short of pitching my computer. I bought a second b&w G3 tower at a school auction (cheap). The internal battery was dead, so I replaced it with a new one, which of course zaps the PRAM in the process. I'm unable to start up except from my OS 9.2 CD, and can't install fresh from this CD because the hard disk is not recognized by it. Is my hard disk fried, or is there some trick I haven't discovered? I've tried disabling the extensions, rebuilding the desktop, everything MAC SECRETS suggested, short of reinitializing. I would like to recover any usable programs that may reside on this hard drive, but I can't seem to access it. Do I need to get Norton's or some othe disk repair program? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Are you sure the HD even has anything on it in the first place?

At one time I worked for a company that would donate their Macs and PCs when they went past their useful life. Prior to donating them we formatted and zero'd out the HDs and in later years chose instead to remove the hard drives totally before making the donation.

We simply couldn't risk any data leaving the corporation nor being accused of giving away commercial software when we weren't allowed to...

On the other side of the coin.. if this came out of a 'school lab' even if the school itself didn't wipe the drive (and I'd be shocked if they didn't - given all the identity theft / privacy protection laws that have been put in place as of late) its a good chance that the abuse the system took at the hands of all the children rendered the machine unbootable for any number of reasons.

I'd say pick one:

- just nuke the drive and be done with it... (aka: use the startup cd / format the drive clean / install the OS)

- Swap in a different IDE drive (but the B&W is VERY picky) then try to salvage the original drive using an external usb/fw case.

Dave