No 32gb Iphone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I was thinking around WWDC on why apple didn't bump the iphones to 16gb and 32gb versions. I have figured only that 8gb and 16gb are on the upper end of the phone capacity market and anything bigger would be cannibalizing touch sales. Does anyone else agree that we won't see a 32gb version until other companies have made it the norm?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gokylego View Post

Does anyone else agree that we won't see a 32gb version until other companies have made it the norm?

Not I.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I was thinking around WWDC on why apple didn't bump the iphones to 16gb and 32gb versions. I have figured only that 8gb and 16gb are on the upper end of the phone capacity market and anything bigger would be cannibalizing touch sales. Does anyone else agree that we won't see a 32gb version until other companies have made it the norm?

This thread should be in the iPhone forum. Not FH
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I don't think we'll see a 32GB iPhone before we see a 64GB iPod Touch.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    can someone move this thread please?

the iPhone can only take ONE chip, the Touch TWO so the iPhone in its current incarnation will always lag behind the Touch.

Could the mods make a sticky note of this? its gonna keep being asked and its not really something that can be debated.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Does anyone else agree that we won't see a 32gb version until other companies have made it the norm?

yessssssssssssssssssssssss

the closest without micro sd is probalbly 4, and microsd only goes to 8gb at the moment ( i think actualy 16 but not 100% sure) and 32 woiuuld be insane for flash and a phone
  • Reply 6 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    32GB iPhone before Christmas, just to piss of the current iPhone 3G users
  • Reply 7 of 11
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well if Lehman Brothers' analysts are correct we will see a refresh of the iPod Touch this September.

(Although predicting a refresh before the Christmas buying season seems like a no-brainer.)

So what will the iPod Touch likely have as new feature? 64GB! At which point I would not be surprised to see a 32GB iPhone as well. I kind of expect a 32GB iPhone option before Christmas and then a new, much smaller high-end model some when early next year.

(Anyone remember the 2.8" screen rumors?). With an OLED display this smaller iPhone could shed size but not battery life since OLEDs can help save power.

And I'm sure a model with video conferencing and 2nd front-facing camera isn't too far off either.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the new iPod Touch isn't also using a 2.8" OLED screen.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes, it'll come in time for the holiday season. Of course, it's kind of hard to give as a gift when it has to be activated in-store... maybe they'll figure something out.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    wasnt the touch capacity bump in feb/march???

just to piss everyone off who bought at xmas (because its just come out in september and will be "the latest")

and to piss off everyone who bought after macworld (because they had been holding off incase of new announcements)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I was thinking around WWDC on why apple didn't bump the iphones to 16gb and 32gb versions.

Probably because single die Flash memory of that size is just now coming into production. In any event just because Apple has announced 8 & 16 GB hand sets doesn't mean that they are bound to only deliver them in July.

Quote:

I have figured only that 8gb and 16gb are on the upper end of the phone capacity market and anything bigger would be cannibalizing touch sales.

It has nothing to do with that and frankly you should wash your mouth out every time you use the "C" word. The iPhone is an iPod and can't impact Touch sales any more than the Classic iPod does. It all depends on what the consumer wants. More so it is a simple matter of available real estate in the iPhone. The lack of RF hardware gives the Touch room for one more flash device, the simple reality is that iPhone lags Touch simple due to physical space issues.

Quote:

Again other companies have nothing to do with this. Apple is acutely aware of the limitations flash storage puts on its devices. They will ship larger memory devices as soon as it is possible for them to do so in volume.

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 11
    venkatvenkat Posts: 2member
    Ya, I agree. I think it's not possible to get a 32 GB version.

tamil song singer