Reformat From Fat 32 To NTFS - need advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I originally formatted my hard drive as FAT 32 and now I need it changed to NTFS. I have no data files on that Partition to back up. So what are the steps to get it partitioned as NTFS (probably without journal)? I'm a new Mac User so the easier and specific the steps, the better.



Thank You



Rick

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 4
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RickRamza View Post


    I originally formatted my hard drive as FAT 32 and now I need it changed to NTFS. I have no data files on that Partition to back up. So what are the steps to get it partitioned as NTFS (probably without journal)? I'm a new Mac User so the easier and specific the steps, the better.



    Thank You



    Rick



    You don't know the difference between HFS and NTFS, then why bother changing the format?



    Assuming you are on a Macintosh and want to migrate to HFS+, go to Disk Utility. You will find the options you need to format it with / without journaling in there.



    Assuming you are on Windows, do a "convert /ntfs d:" or whatever drive letter you need to convert.



    The built-in help in both systems are quite useful.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post


    The built-in help in both systems are quite useful.



    You mean the help system on Windows? LOL ... Yeah I get your point anyways.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RickRamza View Post


    I originally formatted my hard drive as FAT 32 and now I need it changed to NTFS. I have no data files on that Partition to back up. So what are the steps to get it partitioned as NTFS (probably without journal)? I'm a new Mac User so the easier and specific the steps, the better.



    Thank You



    Rick



    You must clarify if this drive is like an external drive, or your normal Mac drive, or a "Windows Bootcamp Partition". Do let us know.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    You mean the help system on Windows? LOL ... Yeah I get your point anyways.



    Actually, the help system in Vista is not too bad at all as it references the MSDN knowledge base online to give you answers. Yes, you need patience to wait for it to work, but it does.



    Marvin has answered the OP question in the Genius section.
Sign In or Register to comment.