No new macbook till September 16th?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I take it we will not see a new macbook until September 16th, the day after the mac+ipod promotion ends. Macbooks in August anyone?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post


    I take it we will not see a new macbook until September 16th, the day after the mac+ipod promotion ends. Macbooks in August anyone?



    Well then there won't be any new MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs, or iMacs until September 16, either. Along with MacBooks, they are all eligible for the same promotion. I wouldn't assume there's anything magical about the promotion date and release timing for new Macs. OTOH, there could be a connection between the promotion date and new iPods.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    i failed.









    I've been so exciting about buying a NEW MBP....





    ....then I Realized I want a free itouch...and all I do is take notes on my computer...





    so, no waiting for me.





    peace.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post


    i failed.



    I know the feeling. I'm a hopefully-soon switcher (tired of XP, and won't do Vista, and ready to dive into OSX). Waiting for my "Stimulus", and was hoping for a MB redesign at WWDC... Just hoping they don't run out of Touches before I get the check...!



    Tick... tick... tick...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    darkgoobdarkgoob Posts: 37member
    LOL... you don't know when they're coming out.



    Apple knows it cannot afford to sit by while PC manufacturers parade around with NVIDIA 9600M GT laptops when college students are buying.



    Give me a break.



    Hell, I have the much-maligned, buggy-as-hell, never-was-what-it-was-supposed-to-be MacBook Pro with NVIDIA 8600M GT.........



    Maybe it will be until Snow Leopard that we FINALLY get decent NVIDIA drivers for OS X and something to replace OpenGL.. something made by Apple to blow DIRECTX out of the water...



    Internet 3.0 is going to be fully 3D and Apple is STUPID if it doesn't realize this. Apple is not stupid.



    MacBook Pro with 9600M GT, HDMI & DVI out, Blu-Ray, FREAKING ESATA, FW400/800, 3 cleanly-powered USB 2.0's, 16:9, and black keyboards.



    JULY
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I see a lot of threads suggesting that Apple needs to put a Blu-Ray player in the next MacBook Pro. I'm not sure I agree. I sure as hell think that new MBPs need a hi-res LED screen capable of displaying 1080p. I want to be able to hi-def download movies but don't particularly need to play them with a Blu-Ray player. Besides the format isn't yet perfected for laptop systems and is extremely power hungry. More fundamentally, I think Sony may have won the format battle, but lost the digital war. In the end Blu-ray is more about data storage than image quality.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post


    LOL... you don't know when they're coming out.



    Apple knows it cannot afford to sit by while PC manufacturers parade around with NVIDIA 9600M GT laptops when college students are buying.



    Give me a break.



    Hell, I have the much-maligned, buggy-as-hell, never-was-what-it-was-supposed-to-be MacBook Pro with NVIDIA 8600M GT.........



    Maybe it will be until Snow Leopard that we FINALLY get decent NVIDIA drivers for OS X and something to replace OpenGL.. something made by Apple to blow DIRECTX out of the water...



    Internet 3.0 is going to be fully 3D and Apple is STUPID if it doesn't realize this. Apple is not stupid.



    MacBook Pro with 9600M GT, HDMI & DVI out, Blu-Ray, FREAKING ESATA, FW400/800, 3 cleanly-powered USB 2.0's, 16:9, and black keyboards.



    JULY



    1) I don't think Apple cares that much about competing with other computer manufacturers



    2) I don't think the Geforce 9600M GT can realistically be used in the Macbook Pro's thin aluminum enclosure



    3) Apple is committed to OpenGL and isn't replacing it with anything, and the idea of Apple competing with DirectX is laughable



    4) "Internet 3.0 is going to be fully 3D"? Puff, puff, pass.



    Edit: strike #2 off that list. I did some research, and it turns out the 9600M GT is absolutely no relation to the desktop 9600GT's G94 GPU. It's simply a 65nm die shrink of the 8700M GT, still with only 32 SPs. So the 9600M GT will only be a hair faster than the 8600M GT, it's just Nvidia playing with their names so PC makers can pretend they're upgrading their products.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cg165cg165 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post


    LOL... you don't know when they're coming out.



    Apple knows it cannot afford to sit by while PC manufacturers parade around with NVIDIA 9600M GT laptops when college students are buying.



    Give me a break.



    Hell, I have the much-maligned, buggy-as-hell, never-was-what-it-was-supposed-to-be MacBook Pro with NVIDIA 8600M GT.........



    Maybe it will be until Snow Leopard that we FINALLY get decent NVIDIA drivers for OS X and something to replace OpenGL.. something made by Apple to blow DIRECTX out of the water...



    Internet 3.0 is going to be fully 3D and Apple is STUPID if it doesn't realize this. Apple is not stupid.



    MacBook Pro with 9600M GT, HDMI & DVI out, Blu-Ray, FREAKING ESATA, FW400/800, 3 cleanly-powered USB 2.0's, 16:9, and black keyboards.



    JULY



    This post had me confused. What is wrong with the 8600M GT's video drivers? Look on a site called "http://laptopvideo2go.com/"; and get the driver for it there.

    Also, what's wrong with your computer? Isn't it a fast machine..? What's the problem?



    Internet 3.0? I thought it was Internet 2.0 that was replacing this one...and that hasn't entirely happened yet has it? If so, I must have missed it but if I'm right about that... then how many years do you think it will be until 3.0?? I don't see the internet being fully 3D any time soon, that's for sure.



    9600M GT is supposedly about as fast as an 8700M GT which isn't much faster than the 8600M GT. HDMI is a possibility. Blu-Ray is pretty much pointless since the burners are way too slow at this point and blank discs are pretty expensive still. I don't have anything that uses ESATA, FW, a need for 3 USB ports, 16:9 and don't really want a black keyboard. With a camera and mic built in, what do you need 3 USB ports for anyways? I've got time capsule so I don't need to plug a HD in since it's wireless, microphone/cam built in... what all do you plug in? I plug in my iPhone, and not much else...of course you don't exactly have to have everything plugged in at the same time either.



    I don't think you can say "JULY" or state the other specs as fact instead of speculation. Maybe I just read it wrong and you did just mean it that way, I apologize if that was the case. They could release any time really between July - September although I am hoping for July
  • Reply 8 of 15
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 875member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cg165 View Post


    This post had me confused. What is wrong with the 8600M GT's video drivers? Look on a site called "http://laptopvideo2go.com/"; and get the driver for it there.

    Also, what's wrong with your computer? Isn't it a fast machine..? What's the problem?



    Internet 3.0? I thought it was Internet 2.0 that was replacing this one...and that hasn't entirely happened yet has it? If so, I must have missed it but if I'm right about that... then how many years do you think it will be until 3.0?? I don't see the internet being fully 3D any time soon, that's for sure.



    9600M GT is supposedly about as fast as an 8700M GT which isn't much faster than the 8600M GT. HDMI is a possibility. Blu-Ray is pretty much pointless since the burners are way too slow at this point and blank discs are pretty expensive still. I don't have anything that uses ESATA, FW, a need for 3 USB ports, 16:9 and don't really want a black keyboard. With a camera and mic built in, what do you need 3 USB ports for anyways? I've got time capsule so I don't need to plug a HD in since it's wireless, microphone/cam built in... what all do you plug in? I plug in my iPhone, and not much else...of course you don't exactly have to have everything plugged in at the same time either.



    I don't think you can say "JULY" or state the other specs as fact instead of speculation. Maybe I just read it wrong and you did just mean it that way, I apologize if that was the case. They could release any time really between July - September although I am hoping for July



    Merely having peripherals plugged in to USB ports, even if they aren't running, will effect performance. The only thing that is permanently plugged in here is the keyboard/mouse combo, all else gets plugged in on an as needed basis.



    I believe that Sonnet has a 2 port USB, and a 2 port Firewire card that loads into the card bus slot, but use for something like that around here would be rare indeed. Although their 802.1g wireless card works great in my G4 Titanium.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post


    Internet 3.0 is going to be fully 3D



    OK, I'll bite: What does that actually MEAN?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Intel will release Montevina (except the special version for the MacBook Air) in July and Apple will revise the MacBook or MacBook Pro or both in August. There is no reason for Apple to ship laptops based on previous-generation chipsets for any period longer than needed for ramp up. In a few weeks, we'll probably start seeing tight supplies of MacBooks and MacBooks Pro as Apple clear inventory of the current products.



    When the revisions come, they will include Montevina, the new chicklet keyboard, and the large multi-touch trackpad. I hope they also include higher resolution BTO options to pave the way for Resolution Independence.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post


    I take it we will not see a new macbook until September 16th, the day after the mac+ipod promotion ends. Macbooks in August anyone?



    I think that's not true. If I remember correctly, two years ago when I switched, around Labor Day, the promotion was still going on. The Intel iMacs had just been released at that time.



    I could have bought the new iMac and recieved the iPod, but I wasn't a student, so I couldn't take advantage of the offer.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    What can we expect for specs, something similar to the current macbook?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aegelward View Post


    What can we expect for specs, something similar to the current macbook?



    It'll be evolutionary. Slightly faster processor, 1066MHz FSB, *maybe* DDR3 memory. GMA X4500 graphics on the Macbook, which should be a noticeable improvement.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post


    OK, I'll bite: What does that actually MEAN?



    It means some one's been drinking the buzzword Kool-Aid again.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post


    Apple knows it cannot afford to sit by while PC manufacturers parade around with NVIDIA 9600M GT laptops when college students are buying.



    Maybe it will be until Snow Leopard that we FINALLY get decent NVIDIA drivers for OS X and something to replace OpenGL.. something made by Apple to blow DIRECTX out of the water...



    Internet 3.0 is going to be fully 3D and Apple is STUPID if it doesn't realize this. Apple is not stupid.



    MacBook Pro with 9600M GT, HDMI & DVI out, Blu-Ray, FREAKING ESATA, FW400/800, 3 cleanly-powered USB 2.0's, 16:9, and black keyboards.



    JULY



    To address those in order:



    They can and indeed may.



    Apple is not ditching OpenGL, especially not since they themselves are spearheading its spiritual sibling OpenCL



    You mean Web 3.0? Because internet is the technology which the Web runs on and thanks to, you know, the fact it's made of wires and exchanges and servers and whatnot, so things, it already is 3D. If you do mean Web 3.0, keep dreaming. The 3D web is a pipe dream at best and even if it is ever going to materialise at all it will be unsuitable or at least pointless for a number of popular Web functions. So Web 3.0 is not going to be 3D. Try Web 5 or 6 if you're lucky. Mind you, even that's BS because the Web 2.0 name is a buzzword. It's hype, there are not versions of the web.



    Name's right, may have that card, HDMI out? Doubt it. Blu-Ray? Even the Mac Pro has yet to receive that. eSATA is wishful thinking. The rest is conceivable.
Sign In or Register to comment.