Network Problem with 10.1.5

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've had the following problem with my network connections ever since upgrading to 10.1.5. Any ideas would be apprecitated.

1st my setup. I have a Powerbook Firewire G3 with 640MB or memory and and airport card. I have my disk partitioned into four volumes: OSX, Apps, 9.2.2, and Data. I have been running OSX since 10.0.

I have two network connections I use on a daily basis. At work I have a 100 Mbit enet with fixed IP address, and at home I have an airport connection, also with fixed IP address.

One of the great things about OSX for me was the multihoming aspect so I would have to change network settings between work and home. This has been working great for many months until 10.1.5. After installing 10.1.5 I consistently lose my 100 mbit enet connection after using the airport at home. More specifically...

1) I'm at work, working happily along and I put the system to sleep to go home.

2) I then wake the system up at home and use the airport connection with no problems.

3) I then put the system to sleep to take it back to work.

4) At work I now have no connection. Network Utility shows no activity and nothing works.

I've tried each of the following, non of which helped.

1)sleep and rewake

2) kill and restart inetd

3) change the network preferences and apply

4) turn airport off and on

After each of these the Network Utility still shows no connection (and yes the cable is plugged in and the link is active :^)

I then reboot the system - TWICE. It seems that even after the first reboot Network Utility still shows no activity. I found this need to reboot twice to be true at least two times.

So two questions

1) Has anyone else seen this and do you have any suggestions?

2) Is there another network process I can kill and restart that might reengage the drivers?

Thanks,

Scott Buchanan

I've since found the following on Macintouch. This seems to be a common problem. I'll try the 'fix' next time it happens to me (It doesn't always happen after the system sleeps, just sometimes. and BTW I have a fixed IP address so its not only DHCP)

----From Macintouch ----

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:09:39 -0700

Subject: Mac OS X 10.1.5 - TiBook 550 - Ethernet no longer re-connects -

Before I go on with my message, MacFixit had this work-around, which I'll try when I get home tonight:

Finally, for those who prefer to work in Terminal, Matthew Stoops offers this work-around (we have not confirmed its success):

1. Type <ifconfig -a> and locate interface that pertains to Ethernet. Notice that en0 (Ethernet) status is inactive and does not have an IP address. 2. Type <sudo ifconfig en0 inet up>. 3. Again type <ifconfig -a> and look at interface entry. The Ethernet port should again be active and will have an IP address associated with it.

I posted the following to the Apple KB Discussion thread:

I'll add my name to the list of people who lose their connection upon sleep.

I am lamenting the fact that I upgraded, as network access after sleep & ease of moving system between work & home are my most important aspects. To have to futz with the network settings (or worse, restart!) is a big bummer.

I have a couple of notes to add:

* I restarted at work on DHCP T1 line

* I put the machine to sleep at work & went home

* after getting home, I woke my TiBook & had no connection to Cable modem (Cox) & router (Linksys BEFSR41)

* back at work, I woke the PowerBook & found no interruptions in net access

This would lead me to believe it's not releasing the DHCP/IP address from work.

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: physguy ]</p>