iphone's gps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So, I've been hearing from some of my friends that gps is a extra feature which uses transfering data through... something....

i'm probably going to just get the phone itself froms rogers, just wondering if anyone know if gps is a free application. if it is, i'm sold.

anyone know or guess how much it will cost just buying the phone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The GPS in the iphone as an "assisted-GPS", that means that the GPS is primarly triangulating it's position by navstar satellites, but in some areas with high signal reflection like in cities regular GPS's may have a hard time positiong accurately.

This is where the "Assist" is getting in, it triangulates it's position through cell phone masts and wifi accesspoints just like the first iphone/touch did and completes the positing that way.

For instance, when you are inside a building the GPS has no way of knowing where you are, car GPS's uses data based on earlier movement and heading in adjunction with a road map to predict where you are going (if you where going down a rod at 60 mph and going through a tunnel the odds are that you will remain on that road with that speed when in the tunnel), some GPS units also have motion sensors built in to "feel" if you're braking or accelerating while in GPS-shadow, but after a while the GPS will you stop tracking you eithjer way until you get reception again.

In the iphone, you will still be able to position yourself inside a building just by asking a wifi AP or an cell mast where it's located and time the latency to give a rough position, when you get out onto the street again the GPS will get reception again and positioning will be much more accurate...

The unknown factor here is if the carriers will somehow be able to debit you on the cell/wlan positiong, but I'm guessing not since that traffic is more like "pinging" the mast rather than actually communicating.

But the GPS traffic is totally carrier independent, it's uses GPS navstar frequencies and those services are payed by the chip manufacturer and not on a user usage based tariff.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killamike View Post

So, I've been hearing from some of my friends that gps is a extra feature which uses transfering data through... something....

i'm probably going to just get the phone itself froms rogers, just wondering if anyone know if gps is a free application. if it is, i'm sold.

anyone know or guess how much it will cost just buying the phone?

It's a feature not an extra feature. It uses google maps to show location and mapping information. So you'd have to use the network (3G or WiFi) to download maps, for free. Third parties may write other software for mapping and navigation but wording in the Apple TOS (or whatever) seems to indicate that Apple wont allow "navigation" software to run on the iPhone. I would guess that there will be geo-tagging of photos too.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simulacra View Post

The GPS in the iphone as an "assisted-GPS", that means that the GPS is primarly triangulating it's position by navstar satellites, but in some areas with high signal reflection like in cities regular GPS's may have a hard time positiong accurately.

This is where the "Assist" is getting in, it triangulates it's position through cell phone masts and wifi accesspoints just like the first iphone/touch did and completes the positing that way.

That's not what assist GPS means.

For normal GPS, the device downloads the list of satellite positions from the satellites themselves. They transmit really slowly, and it can take a couple of minutes to receive the whole list. For assist GPS, it hops on the internet and downloads the list from there. Even a cellphone's net connection is much faster than a GPS satellite, so it gets the list in 5-10 seconds.

The iPhone does do cell tower triangulating as well, but that's not related to assist GPS.

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 7
    thanks for the reply! so what you're getting at is the gps device in iphone works just like any other gps when i'm driving is that correct? and phone service won't charge anything in that case?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Um, yea. We don't really know exactly what we'll get until the new phone and software are out but ... it's GPS on a phone like any other. Most likely better.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

That's not what assist GPS means.

For normal GPS, the device downloads the list of satellite positions from the satellites themselves. They transmit really slowly, and it can take a couple of minutes to receive the whole list. For assist GPS, it hops on the internet and downloads the list from there. Even a cellphone's net connection is much faster than a GPS satellite, so it gets the list in 5-10 seconds.

The iPhone does do cell tower triangulating as well, but that's not related to assist GPS.

Amorya

Uhm, yes it is, it' assists the gps triangulation with other means of communication, when and why that assist is needed is irrelevant.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simulacra View Post

Uhm, yes it is, it' assists the gps triangulation with other means of communication, when and why that assist is needed is irrelevant.

no... Amorya was correct.

do some research.

The iPhone does also posses the ability to triangulate off cell/wifi, and while that does "assist" the GPS apps, it isn't what "Assisted GPS" means. "Assisted GPS" is exactly what Amorya described.