My album art web site reaches 10,000 covers

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Given how many millions of albums exist our there in the world, 10,000 album covers is only a drop in the bucket. But considering that I started the site with fewer than 500 of my own album covers around eight months ago, when I first opened up AlbumArtExchange.com for image contributions from other members of the web site, and the picky quality standards I'm asking contributors to meet, I'm kind of surprised at the rate of growth.

While it might still be hard for people to find just what they want at AlbumArtExchange.com, the odds of finding something you can use have gone up quite a bit now that it's not just my own personal quirky taste in music governing what can be found on the web site. (I recently had to re-code the key word search I wrote for searching the image gallery. I knew the search I'd first written wasn't terribly efficient, but that didn't matter when the image count was in the low thousands. Response time started sucking badly, however, somewhere past 5000-6000 images.)

The whole point of the web site is to provide better image quality than you can get from other web sites, or even from iTunes automatic downloads. For the most part I think the web site is achieving that goal. A few of the contributors have been posting some stunningly nice images. On the other end of the spectrum, a few posters don't seem to get what the site is about, and have posted some real crap.

I try to weed the crap out when I can, either deleting low-quality images or flagging them as "needs work", to mark them as potential source material to be used by someone else with the time and the image editing skills to improve those images and resubmit them.

I haven't had the time to police everything that gets submitted, but last week I cobbled together an admin/moderator system which allows two moderators whom I've appointed to delete, flag, or edit the tagging of images, and then allows me as admin to approve or revert their changes.

What kind of image quality am I looking for?

My typical scanning and editing process

Yes, I'd like all image posters to be THIS anal retentive!

Before and After -- Show off your image editing mojo

It's hard to be a complete tyrant about image quality, however. I appreciate the efforts being made by the contributors too much to delete or flag every image that doesn't meet my very fussy standards. Every once in a while I re-edit some of the posts others have made, but that can only be an occasional thing, because if I tried to improve every image flaw I spot I'd have no time for anything else -- I'm having fun with this site as a hobby, but I don't want to make it my life.

Well, unless I could make a living at it!

While that is incredibly doubtful, I'm beginning to get enough traffic that I might be able to generate a little lunch money from the site. I suppose I should look into what it would take to slap a few Google Ads up on the site one of these days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    What is this "album" that you speak of
  • Reply 2 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

What is this "album" that you speak of

An "album" is simply a collection, in this case a collection of music. Music CDs are albums. Collections of related songs, issued together under a common title, stored on a hard drive or any other media are albums. If you're trying to imply album = vinyl, I don't go along with that usage.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Just read all three linked threads.

Interesting stuff. No wonder you haven't been posting as much lately!

Any liability concerns?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Nice job!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Any liability concerns?

Given the fact that so much of this artwork is already freely available online from so many sources I can't see anyone being likely to give me trouble about copyright issues.

In an effort to cover my ass a little anyway, there's a disclaimer on the site that states I'm not claiming copyright to any of the images posted. This disclaimer appears beneath every full-sized view of an image, along with the statement that I'll take down any images which I'm requested to remove by those who do hold the copyrights.

Further, I encourage posters to add "where to buy" links, so that my site can help to promote sales of the albums which are displayed. When posters don't add those links, one of the moderators or I often add links ourselves. When such a link has been added, clicking on an album title takes you to the "where to buy" address.

At the moment I'm working on adding a ratings system so members of the web site can rate the content.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Look how muddy the iTunes thumbnail is compared to the album cover I downloaded from your website!

Apple can really use your services!

• Reply 7 of 10
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Check out the amazing work someone did with one of the covers I uploaded.

Before

After
  • Reply 8 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Good work, shet! I remember when you started the site. Some really great PShop work on there, man!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Absolutely superb. I love trance music I would love to see more of this genre. All the best.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I just added the ability for members of the web site to rate images and comment on them. I probably should have tested all of the new code to support these features more first, but hey, that's what users are for, right?