Moving to iPhone 3G: a guide for current and non-current AT&T customers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T is attempting to alleviate some of the confusion surrounding the upgrade paths to iPhone 3G with a series of video guides focused on getting customers "iReady" before the 8:00 a.m. launch on July 11th. The three videos covered in this report are aimed at 1) existing AT&T iPhone customers moving to iPhone 3G, 2) non-iPhone AT&T customers moving to iPhone 3G, and 3) customers new to AT&T moving to iPhone 3G.

Existing AT&T iPhone Customers

You're immediately eligible to upgrade to iPhone 3G at the $199 upgrade price for the 8GB model, plus an $18 upgrade fee. Alternatively, you can upgrade to the 16GB model for $299 plus the $18 upgrade fee.

Before going to an AT&T or Apple Retail store to upgrade, you'll want to sync your current iPhone's contacts, calendar, photos, emails, music and other media files to iTunes as you normally would. Although your new iPhone 3G will be activated in the store, you'll need to bring it back home and then sync it to iTunes in order to populate it with your contacts and data from your old iPhone.

You'll also want to check any voicemails you have on your original iPhone before upgrading to iPhone 3G, as your voicemails will not be carried over and will be deleted.

You'll then have to decide what accessories you want to purchase with your new iPhone 3G, what calling plan you'd like to sign up for, and whether you'd like to give your old iPhone to a family member of friend.

Existing AT&T Customers who don't currently have an iPhone

If you're an existing AT&T customer who has a mobile phone other than an iPhone, you'll first need to determine whether you are eligible for upgrade pricing. To do this, log onto www.att.com/iphone/ and select "Log In" at far right hand side of the orange bar. Then type in your current mobile phone number and your password. If you're not yet registered for an AT&T online account, you can do so from the login page. Once logged into your account, select the "Upgrade Phone" link from the far right-hand side of the page. That page will tell you whether any of the existing mobile phones on your account are currently eligible for upgrade pricing.

If you're currently eligible for upgrade pricing, you can upgrade to iPhone 3G at the cost of $199 for the 8GB or $299 for the 16GB model, plus an $18 upgrade fee.

If you're not currently eligible for upgrade pricing, you can upgrade to an 8GB iPhone 3G for $399 or the 16GB model for $499.

Customers new to AT&T

If you're switching to AT&T to obtain an iPhone 3G, the first thing to remember is that there is no benefit to switching your service prior to iPhone 3G launch day on July 11th.

Customers new to AT&T can purchase iPhone 3G for $199 for the 8GB model or $299 for the 16GB model with a new 2-year contract and $36 activation fee.

Before arriving at an AT&T or Apple store, be sure to review the iPhone 3G rate plans so you know which one you want to select on July 11th.

Second, you can get a Credit Check out of the way by visiting the store where you plan to purchase your new iPhone 3G ahead of July 11th.

Third, backup any data that's on your current mobile phone that you want to put on your iPhone 3G. Since the iPhone 3G syncs with applications on your Mac or PC, getting your current phones data to a computer is a good move.

When you're ready to buy iPhone 3G on or after July 11th, you'll need to bring AT&T some additional information. Since you'll be opening a new account, AT&T will request that you provide a photo ID and your social security number to perform a credit check. As mentioned above, this can be taken care of ahead of July 11th. Depending on your credit, AT&T may possibly ask for a deposit.

Next, AT&T will be ready to port your existing phone number (number porting FAQ and checklist) to your new iPhone 3G. For AT&T to do this, however, they'll need your existing account information as it is on record with your existing wireless provider. This information is usually contained on your existing phone bill, so bringing a copy of your existing phone bill to an Apple or AT&T store will speed up this process. Specifically, AT&T will need your existing 1) Account Number 2) Name 3) Billing Address 4) Social Security Number of Tax ID and 5) Your existing PIN or Password (if you have one).

If all the information matches properly, AT&T promises you'll be able to make calls on your new iPhone 3G "within minutes."

If AT&T tells you your out-of-area mobile number is ineligible for porting, try the steps taken by AppleInsider's Publisher last June when he successfully ported his 'ineligible' mobile number to AT&T and iPhone.

Earlier today, AppleInsider detailed the increased costs associated with iPhone 3G after outlining AT&T's standard service plans for the new touch-screen handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    keenspoonkeenspoon Posts: 24member
    Although I can't get a working phone at that moment (needs to be mailed and then activated) if I can sign up for a regular phone and activate online why not for the iPhone? They can do credit check, charge for the phoen and other items and inputt my old phone data without dealing with an ATT person or spending the time during store hours or my weekend.

I mean I really enjoy interfacing with those crack ATT wireless store employees but ... I don't really get it
  • Reply 2 of 33
    elearnelearn Posts: 18member
    Actually, AT&T forgot a scenario. That of the present AT&T customer who'd like to move but is in dire straits given the high cost of fuel and food staples and the uncertainty of her job. That scenario's video would show her with her pockets turned inside out and her purse held upside down showing she's broke.

Thank you AT&T for making it possible for some of us to show restraint and remain on the sidelines.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If all the information matches properly, AT&T promises you'll be able to make calls on your new iPhone 3G "within minutes."

I guess 480 minutes is still minutes.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I switched over from Verizon to AT&T today. They insisted on giving me a free phone until I can pick up my iPhone on the 11. I was worried I would no longer be eligible for the subsidized prices, but they assured me that worst case scenario I could return the free phone in exchange for an iPhone since it's within their 30-day warrantee.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I switched over from Verizon to AT&T today. They insisted on giving me a free phone until I can pick up my iPhone on the 11. I was worried I would no longer be eligible for the subsidized prices, but they assured me that worst case scenario I could return the free phone in exchange for an iPhone since it's within their 30-day warrantee.

I sure hope you have that in writing. You're not dealing with Apple's genius bar. Did you notice the forked tongue or not.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    I got a bad feeling on all this news on pricing, activiation, etc.....

AT&T - FTW!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 33
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    There's one glaring problem with this AT&T plan: It's an AT&T plan.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

I got a bad feeling on all this news on pricing, activiation, etc.....

AT&T - FTW!!!!

"That's not a cellular contract, it's a Space Station!"
  • Reply 9 of 33
    I resent paying an $18 upgrade fee if I've never owned an iPhone and I am eligible for an upgrade.

What, the 2 year lock-in and the murderously high data and voice rates not enough profit for you AT&T?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur View Post

I resent paying an $18 upgrade fee if I've never owned an iPhone and I am eligible for an upgrade.

What, the 2 year lock-in and the murderously high data and voice rates not enough profit for you AT&T?

Despite all this, at&t's stock is down today, while Apple's has sprung back about 4%.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    AWESOME! Thank you for this! Don't need to google anymore!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    $199 is not the upgrade price, its the retail price. Where does AT&T get off calling it an "upgrade price"? Idiots.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    mayb2mayb2 Posts: 3member
    I wonder what will happen to me? I had an iPhone bought and activated from Apple Store. It broke so I switched to a MOT Q9. Now is it like I have one and qualify for the 199?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

$199 is not the upgrade price, its the retail price. Where does AT&T get off calling it an "upgrade price"? Idiots.

What happened to the current customers, I thought that you could re-sign a 2 year agreement to get the $199 and $299.

We should be allowed to do this since we're already customers, I wouldn't mind signing a 2 year agreement and make it active the 11th.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

I sure hope you have that in writing. You're not dealing with Apple's genius bar. Did you notice the forked tongue or not.

Why would I have to have that in writing? The person at the store wasn't making any kind of special exception for me. You're allowed to return any phone or cancel a contract within 30 days of activation without fines or penalties.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    pay a couple hundred again plus more per month for what? somewhat faster browsing and real GPS? not worth it, i say. an iphone will never, ever, come close to my garmin with its turn by turn instructions.

and who does any serious surfing on their iphone? sure, it does come in handy. used it alot during my last overseas trip where flightstatus.com had more info on delays that the gate itself, but so what if it takes 10 seconds longer than with the new iphone.

for me there is nothing really compelling to upgrade. the apps store will be on both phones anyway...
  • Reply 17 of 33
    joeyyyjoeyyy Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur View Post

This is a fee for upgrading from your existing AT&T phone to the iPhone. This has nothing to do with you having an iPhone or not.

You would have paid this fee with any upgrade that you make with AT&T from phone A to phone B.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

What happened to the current customers, I thought that you could re-sign a 2 year agreement to get the $199 and $299.

We should be allowed to do this since we're already customers, I wouldn't mind signing a 2 year agreement and make it active the 11th.

I'm with you.

Paying twice what everyone else is for the same equipment, when I've already put money in their pockets (and will be upgrading to a more expensive monthly fee) is total bullshit.

Screw AT&T.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeYYY View Post

This is a fee for upgrading from your existing AT&T phone to the iPhone. This has nothing to do with you having an iPhone or not.

You would have paid this fee with any upgrade that you make with AT&T from phone A to phone B.

I was a cingular customer before they got swallowed by AT&T, and I don't recall any fees the last time I upgraded. Oh well. I still resent it.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Questions that still need to be answered:

Who will de-box the phone? Me or the AT&T rep?

How much touching and handling of the iphone will the AT&T rep be doing during the in-store activation?

AT&T better train these boys.