How can I see who used my wireless network?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I have an airport extreme and created a wpa2 protected network.

However, when I see my download traffic with my provider, I'm under the impression that it rises way too fast compared too what I do on the net... So I'm wondering if there's a way or a tool that allows me to see how many pc's have logged into my network. Surely my airport must store this data somewhere?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Hey guys,

I have an airport extreme and created a wpa2 protected network.

However, when I see my download traffic with my provider, I'm under the impression that it rises way too fast compared too what I do on the net... So I'm wondering if there's a way or a tool that allows me to see how many pc's have logged into my network. Surely my airport must store this data somewhere?

Try exporting the logs. There is no easy built-in way to see how many clients have connected to your network over a period of time. You can see how many leases your DHCP server has given out
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Try exporting the logs. There is no easy built-in way to see how many clients have connected to your network over a period of time. You can see how many leases your DHCP server has given out

Ok and where can I see this? I tried surfing to my router with Camino but it doesn't seem to work... could be I'm using the wrong IP though.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    You're going to want to read the user manual that came with your router. If you didn't keep it go to the company web site and get a new one. Asking us for instructions post by post is waste of everyones time.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    If the Airport Extreme is your router, it doesn't come with any sort of manual. You have to use "Help" on the Mac.

The only way to "access" the Airport is through Airport Utility, and it does NOT show any tracking/logging information.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Use the app from wireshark.org . This should trace connected IPs and IP traffic, etc.

Also of course full loggin on the Airport Extreme. You must use the Airport Utitliy on Mac or PC. The CD that came with your Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    OK thanks a lot for all your help guys.

However after reading a bit on Wikipedia, it seems as if WPA2 is more secure than WEP? Some network-savvy friends told me otherwise... Anyway if this is the case I suppose my network probably hasn't been hacked and I should just cut down on the Youtube
  • Reply 7 of 11
    WPA is way more secure than WEP! WEP can be cracked easily.

http://docs.lucidinteractive.ca/inde...eless_Networks

As has been mentioned, the Airport gives no information on who might be logged in. If you are worried, then just change the password to something ridiculous, no one is going to be able to crack a 'strong' password!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post

As has been mentioned, the Airport gives no information on who might be logged in. If you are worried, then just change the password to something ridiculous, no one is going to be able to crack a 'strong' password!

Enable MAC (not Mac) filtering as well for an extra layer of protection.

In this case the intruder has to crack your WPA2 password and also "spoof a known MAC address" to hack your wireless.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

If the Airport Extreme is your router, it doesn't come with any sort of manual. You have to use "Help" on the Mac.

The only way to "access" the Airport is through Airport Utility, and it does NOT show any tracking/logging information.

Under "Advanced" then "Logging and SNMP", there's options to send the logs directly to another mac via syslog, and to view the logs on the Extreme. You can see different users attach with lines like:

Jul 04 14:32:14\tSeverity:5\tAssociated with station 00:1f:5b:d2:13:d9

You can also export the logs to your Mac, and at any time it'll give you a list of currently attached systems.

But no, apart from that is does NOT show any tracking/logging information...

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Enable MAC (not Mac) filtering as well for an extra layer of protection.

In this case the intruder has to crack your WPA2 password and also "spoof a known MAC address" to hack your wireless.

Aha, thanks for that tip. Thinking of it though, there are 2 completely unprotected wireless networks available from my neighbours if I click the wireless-thingy. It'd be a bit stupid for somebody to hack mine then... unless they really want to delete everything on MY computer for whatever reason... but if I'm not using it I'm shutting it down, so...

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    He said he was using WPA! If you've got a secure password (change it if you're not sure) why would you be worried about someone using your bandwidth unless you live with someone and they are the culprits...either by plugging in directly or with access to the password. Why do you think it's using more anyway. A lot of people don't realise just how quickly data can add up when you're surfing or torrenting or watching youtube etc etc etc....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post