Airport Express/Airtunes Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me out with this one. I recently moved to a sort-of duplex. Our unit is next to the landlady's and she was kind enough to share her wireless network with us (which is nice since it saves us about $50 a month). Before we moved I had my modem and stereo routed through my Airpot Express and it worked wonderfully.

Now in the new place we want to do the same with our stereo. But when I plug it in my Airport Card needs to be connected directly to it before the Airport Express shows up in iTunes, but I of course lose the internet connection!

I seem to remember that one of the advantages of the airport express is that it can be used to extend your existing wireless network, so the connection would go:

LLdy Wireless <----> Airport Express <----> iMac

which I imagine would allow me to connect my stereo to the Airport Express, and since the Airport Express was buttressing my landlady's wireless, I wouldn't have any problems being simultaneously connected to my stereo and online.

But how do I configure my Airport Express to extend my landlady's wireless network? Am I not remembering something correctly? Is there a more practical solution?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me out with this one. I recently moved to a sort-of duplex. Our unit is next to the landlady's and she was kind enough to share her wireless network with us (which is nice since it saves us about $50 a month). Before we moved I had my modem and stereo routed through my Airpot Express and it worked wonderfully.

Now in the new place we want to do the same with our stereo. But when I plug it in my Airport Card needs to be connected directly to it before the Airport Express shows up in iTunes, but I of course lose the internet connection!

I seem to remember that one of the advantages of the airport express is that it can be used to extend your existing wireless network, so the connection would go:

LLdy Wireless <----> Airport Express <----> iMac

which I imagine would allow me to connect my stereo to the Airport Express, and since the Airport Express was buttressing my landlady's wireless, I wouldn't have any problems being simultaneously connected to my stereo and online.

But how do I configure my Airport Express to extend my landlady's wireless network? Am I not remembering something correctly? Is there a more practical solution?

Your land lady's router must have the ability to extend her network. You can't just extend someone else's network, she must enable the feature... if she even has it