Networking OSX to 9.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
HELP!! How do you mount a damn hard drive onto my desktop in MAC OS X from a computer running 9.2. Appletalk??

Would love some ideas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Makka:

<strong>HELP!! How do you mount a damn hard drive onto my desktop in MAC OS X from a computer running 9.2. Appletalk??

Would love some ideas</strong><hr></blockquote>

I find the easiest way is to enable File Sharing from Classic. On my DP500 I've never been able to do this from OSX File Sharing. The DP machines have so many bugs that have been ironed out except for this.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    you can do it through AppleTalk or TCP/IP.

Just make sure file sharing is enabled on both machines and that they are networked.

In OS X in the Finder go to the "Go" menu and slect connect to server. you're OS 9 machine should appear in the browse window. If not, manually type the IP address and then it'll come up with a dialog to mount the drives
  • Reply 3 of 6
    i find it safer to mount your os 9 partition from os x.... i get disconnected almost instantly if i try it the other way round.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    buggybuggy Posts: 83member
    I wish I had all the info with me right now...but I don't so I will point you in the right dirrection

I have two machines networked and working fine for months.

one OSX and on 9.1... they both can talk to one another.

You need to use appletalk but the main thing so that you don't experiance crashes is that you need to go into the utility Netinfo panel (on the OSX side) and change a setting.

You will fin the right info on Apple's Support discussions board about networking in OSX.... you will need to do a bit of searching.

PLEASE DON'T QOUTE ME ON THE FOLLOWING but here is what I think I changed

/config/AppleFileServer/use_appletalk and change the 0 (off) to 1 (on)

Mine is currently 1....

but again I stress it was months ago when I did this and I have forgotten and I am not about to mess with my system to see if it was that switch or not... my system is working... don't want to "f" it up

check Apple's site lots of great info there
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gee i thought it was pretty easy- turn on file sharing and connect via tcp or apple talk- make sure apple talk is turned on in your osX network panel or connect via tcp/ip in the sharing of OS9
  • Reply 6 of 6
    danozdanoz Posts: 2member
    If all you are after is to get files from one to the other, then I find the easiest way is Firewire Target mode. Of course, this assumes you have 2 FireWire enabled machines and a cable (eg the cable that comes with the iPod). I think it is referred to as a 6pin to 6pin FireWire cable. The cable to connect a DV Camera to your mac is a 6pin to 4 pin (I think).

So, have one mac running and the other one off. Plug the cable in to both macs, start up the other mac and hold down t as it starts (remember t for "target mode"). Then it will start up real quickly, just long enough to spin up the drive and you will just get a blue screen with a floating yellow FireWire logo on it. The drive will mount and you can copy to and from.

If you want to be using both machines at the same time, then this will be no good for you.