UK O2 unlock on pay as you go..

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello all,

So here's the deal... I want to buy a Pay as you go iphone in the UK.

These are locked to the O2 network.

If I want to then use this phone overseas with another Sim I take it the only way I would be able to do that is to unlock it via a crack? Is that correct?

If this is the case how long do you think it'll be before this will come out? And will it be totally undoable if I need to send it back to Apple for any reason?

Many thanks,

Simon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SimonPickard View Post

So here's the deal... I want to buy a Pay as you go iphone in the UK.

These are locked to the O2 network.

If I want to then use this phone overseas with another Sim I take it the only way I would be able to do that is to unlock it via a crack? Is that correct?

It seems that way yes. Pay as you go might not be a good thing to go for as you will likely have to pay much for for data access. Wifi is ok but the real advantage of the iphone is having internet everywhere you go.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SimonPickard View Post

If this is the case how long do you think it'll be before this will come out? And will it be totally undoable if I need to send it back to Apple for any reason?

I wouldn't think it will be that long at all (probably no more than a couple of weeks). But it depends on whether or not Apple have deliberately made things more difficult. I suspect given the wide variety of carriers worldwide, they won't be able to lock them down any more than before.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    "Pay as you go might not be a good thing to go for as you will likely have to pay much for for data access."

I did wonder about this...

O2 in the UK are giving you six months free internet and wifi useage which will cover me while I'm here.

Then when I get to Sydney later in the year there would be nothing stopping me taking of a cheap contract with a free phone say, ebaying the phone and putting the sim in my Iphone?

(that's the idea for me anyhow)

What do people think? Good idea??

Or am I being silly? Should I just wait six months until I get to Sydney and buy an iphone then?

Regards,

Simon