iMovie HD/Canon Camcorder

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all.

I bought a Panasonic HDD camcorder, only to find that it is incompatible with Macs.

I replaced it with a Canon MD216 MiniDV camcorder. I can now not get this to connect to iMovie HD.

I assume that I need to update to iMovie '08 - but this seems to be compatible with Intel or dual processor G5 Macs. I am using a G4 laptop, G4 iMac and G5 single processor Power PC.

Is there any way I can work around this without actually scrapping my Macs and buying new ones?

Any help gratefully received.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aulton View Post

Hi all.

I bought a Panasonic HDD camcorder, only to find that it is incompatible with Macs.

I replaced it with a Canon MD216 MiniDV camcorder. I can now not get this to connect to iMovie HD.

I assume that I need to update to iMovie '08 - but this seems to be compatible with Intel or dual processor G5 Macs. I am using a G4 laptop, G4 iMac and G5 single processor Power PC.

Is there any way I can work around this without actually scrapping my Macs and buying new ones?

Any help gratefully received.

You want to use iMovie 08 but your Macs are not compatible. Is that the question?

Here are the minimum requirements:

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor.

iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster).

If you don't have that... you'll need to buy a new Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    aultonaulton Posts: 16member
    Thanks.

I've found some hacks but they seem pretty desperate.

Camera's going back!