iMac 24" and Time Capsule wireless networks

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
About a week ago, well 10 days or so now, I opened and installed my new Time Capsule, using it as my digital hub for a wireless network from TimeWarner's RoadRunner service. I set up my little network from my relatively new iMac 24" alumninum and all went well it seemed. The net appeared on my little array of computers in various rooms of my apartment-- my wife's iMac 20" al/intl, my MBP17, and our new MBA. I even took out my PowerBook G4 to see how it worked-- flawless internet.

SO WHY THE POST? While none of the "satellite machines" have any trouble, my iMac 24" gets kicked off the net about every 10 minutes, sometimes in just a minute or two, when on the web in Safari, Firefox, or even talking to Apple online. It just stops having the network-- I have to go into Network Preferences and reestablish them again and again. This does not happen with any of the other machines. I am typing this on the MacBook Air and have watched the iMac24 lose the signal twice now.

I've searched all the manuals. Indeed, Monday I took the iMac in to one of the NY/NJ area AppleStores. They had no idea what might be the problem, but I ended up boosting onboard Memory to 4 GB, so at least somebody got something. No change in the problem, though.

I am running OSX 10.5.4 and I installed the 7.3.2 update for the AirPort/Time Capsule so I should b using the right stuff. I have not yet had the courage to use Time Machine with the 1TB Time Capsule until I know I will stay connected.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

About a week ago, well 10 days or so now, I opened and installed my new Time Capsule, using it as my digital hub for a wireless network from TimeWarner's RoadRunner service. I set up my little network from my relatively new iMac 24" alumninum and all went well it seemed. The net appeared on my little array of computers in various rooms of my apartment-- my wife's iMac 20" al/intl, my MBP17, and our new MBA. I even took out my PowerBook G4 to see how it worked-- flawless internet.

SO WHY THE POST? While none of the "satellite machines" have any trouble, my iMac 24" gets kicked off the net about every 10 minutes, sometimes in just a minute or two, when on the web in Safari, Firefox, or even talking to Apple online. It just stops having the network-- I have to go into Network Preferences and reestablish them again and again. This does not happen with any of the other machines. I am typing this on the MacBook Air and have watched the iMac24 lose the signal twice now.

I've searched all the manuals. Indeed, Monday I took the iMac in to one of the NY/NJ area AppleStores. They had no idea what might be the problem, but I ended up boosting onboard Memory to 4 GB, so at least somebody got something. No change in the problem, though.

I am running OSX 10.5.4 and I installed the 7.3.2 update for the AirPort/Time Capsule so I should b using the right stuff. I have not yet had the courage to use Time Machine with the 1TB Time Capsule until I know I will stay connected.

Since the problem is isolated to a single iMac it's safe to say that there is something wrong with the iMac and not your wireless network, interference, or any other third party.

Question then becomes is it software or hardware? If you can find someone who has an external USB wireless NIC you could borrow that and see if the problem goes away. That would tell you if its a bad NIC or bad OS X install.

If that doesn't work, only a complete reinstall of OS X can prove if its software. You can connect your iMac to the TC with a cable and then do Time Machine backup so you can get your data back after a reinstall of OS X.

Or, you can take the iMac into your local Apple store and try and get them to replace the wireless NIC (I don't know if the wireless NICs are integrated into the system boards on iMacs).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Since the problem is isolated to a single iMac it's safe to say that there is something wrong with the iMac and not your wireless network, interference, or any other third party.

Question then becomes is it software or hardware? If you can find someone who has an external USB wireless NIC you could borrow that and see if the problem goes away. That would tell you if its a bad NIC or bad OS X install.

If that doesn't work, only a complete reinstall of OS X can prove if its software. You can connect your iMac to the TC with a cable and then do Time Machine backup so you can get your data back after a reinstall of OS X.

Or, you can take the iMac into your local Apple store and try and get them to replace the wireless NIC (I don't know if the wireless NICs are integrated into the system boards on iMacs).

Thank you for helping out. I was wondering if it was possibly an airport problem on the iMac 24? Does look like I'll have to bring that in to the store-- big drag...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    go 2 the apple store and it will b fixed
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brinkjj2 View Post

go 2 the apple store and it will b fixed

Well, actually.... I let my little problem go unreported, but now that you have resurrected it, let me say the upshot was that even with a completely replaced logic board and airport card, I am now wired to my Time Capsule from the iMac 24, while the other Macs perform perfectly wirelessly. In the end, Time Warner Cable may have triumphed.