Buy new macbook pro now or wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I need to get a new macbook pro. Should i buy it now or wait, it seems like the long awaited upgrades might happen sometime soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    machead99machead99 Posts: 63member
    New MBPs are right around the corner, do not buy.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

New MBPs are right around the corner, do not buy.

How soon do you think?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    machead99machead99 Posts: 63member
    Any time between 14th of July and the end of September. I'd say sooner rather than later as Apple always releases it's revision ~4-6 weeks after the processor is released. Montevina has been delayed 2 weeks so that takes it down to 2-4 weeks from the 14th most likely.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Apple announced new MBPs next week.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    amclamcl Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

Any time between 14th of July and the end of September. I'd say sooner rather than later as Apple always releases it's revision ~4-6 weeks after the processor is released. Montevina has been delayed 2 weeks so that takes it down to 2-4 weeks from the 14th most likely.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Apple announced new MBPs next week.

I doubt Apple will announce anything during the iPhone 3G launch/craze, but who knows. I'd expect them to atleast let the dust settle on that for a few weeks. I'm thinking mid-August at the earliest but probably September. I hope I am wrong of course, I'm also waiting impatiently for the next refresh.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    fpnunesfpnunes Posts: 3member
    I was in the same boat but decided to order last night. The current model is a classic with more than enough umph to get things done. If some wonder revision comes out (and doesn't need several fixes to get it right) I can always sell it at 95% of what I paid on Fleabay and jump into the new model once all the kinks are worked out.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Apple is more willing than most companies to have outdated products (see:mini), but they can't afford to let their flagship laptop line languish until September. So I would guess late July/early August for the MBP. Later for the Macbook.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I have the same struggle. I'm a college student who needs a MBP. Up through September 15 I can get a free iPod touch with my Mac. Any chance the MBP will be refreshed before then? Do I wait and chance losing the free iPod for the better model or just go for it now and get the current model and the iPod?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Admiralkymia View Post

I have the same struggle. I'm a college student who needs a MBP. Up through September 15 I can get a free iPod touch with my Mac. Any chance the MBP will be refreshed before then? Do I wait and chance losing the free iPod for the better model or just go for it now and get the current model and the iPod?

I forget when this promo ran its course last year, but you might want to check and wait until towards the end of it. If no new MBP by then, just buy. My wife's iBook G4 is now 4.5 yrs old and only began to show its age in the last few months. So you should be good for awhile either way.