Has the Core 2 Extreme iMac gone?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm shopping for a new iMac and have noticed that there are none with Core 2 Extreme processors any more, only Core 2 Duos. Does anyone know why, and if it's likely to be made available again?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 3
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 874member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oggz View Post


    I'm shopping for a new iMac and have noticed that there are none with Core 2 Extreme processors any more, only Core 2 Duos. Does anyone know why, and if it's likely to be made available again?





    You are falling for marketing hype. Extreme is just a word. If you go look at the iMac lineup you'll see that a newer model, the 3.06 GHz model, has replaced the last generation "extreme". The only thing missing is the word "extreme".





    Carry on.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    oggzoggz Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post


    You are falling for marketing hype. Extreme is just a word. If you go look at the iMac lineup you'll see that a newer model, the 3.06 GHz model, has replaced the last generation "extreme". The only thing missing is the word "extreme".





    Carry on.



    Are you sure? The wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2) indicates that the Duo and Extreme are actually different.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oggz View Post


    Are you sure? The wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2) indicates that the Duo and Extreme are actually different.



    The only difference is that the Extreme processors have an unlocked multiplier. That is something you would never, ever use.
Sign In or Register to comment.