Weird uptime phenomonon..

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok. So I was really bored tonight, and wanted to see what my uptime was.. Went to the terminal and typed the obvious, and here is what I got..-

3:20AM up 11857 days, 8:03, 2 users, load averages: 0.44, 0.58, 0.58

Ok.. So how have I been up for 11857 days???!?! Our power went out Monday night, so it could not even have been 48 hours yet.. Maybe the sudden outtage possibly caused this? I dunno. Just thought someone may have on insight on this prob.. (Not that it is really that big of a deal)

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: Jeremiah Rich ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Let me guess -- dual processor Mac?

Yeah, it's a know problem. I've gotten that once or twice before too. It's a harmless bug.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Nope. Wish it was hehe. The machine in question (my only one) is an iMac DV 450.... Of course I know it is harmless, but I would like to track down the root of the problem so to speak.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    changing the date fux0rs the uptime stats... Perhaps your date got changed with the power outage?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Don't see how it could have been.. I have it autosync with the Apple servers or whatever.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    It was probably the syncing that did it. UNIX time starts at January 1, 1970. If you look at that uptime, that's what it lists your computer as starting at (not that bad for a Macintosh, eh? only about twice as long as they've existed at all). My guess is the clock was reset to January 1, 1970, or "0" by UNIX standards, and then your uptime started clocking from there. When you synced with the server, suddenly 30 years had passed, and your computer just updated its stats accordingly. Solution: get a UPS. They're fairly cheap, and if you get a nice one (with an isolation transformer, that does sine wave power conversion), it'll also completely protect your Mac against the power dips and blips that are just bad for all things electronic.