Blackberry Thunder (9500) - real iPhone competition

thttht
Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The Blackberry Thunder is finally leaking. This is RIM's iPhone fighter, and the only iPhone competitor that could really hurt Apple:

It looks like it'll have a 3.2 to 3.4 inch 480 x 360 (4:3) screen, which will be about the same area as the iPhone's screen. It also may implement a mechanical screen feedback like the iriver Clix/Lplayer, which I find somewhat interesting.

The GUI won't be good as Apple's iPhone, but the problem for Apple is RIM is entrenched in American business and becoming much better in the consumer game. IT departments are generally pro whatever they are used to - and Blackberry has been doing it for almost a decade - and are generally anti-Apple. So all it takes for Apple to fail in the Enterprise is a competitor that comes close to the iPhone 3G, and I think the Thunder may come close enough.

It will really be up to how well the Apple Enterprise sales department (if they have one) can sell and make deals with corporations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

The Blackberry Thunder is finally leaking. This is RIM's iPhone fighter, and the only iPhone competitor that could really hurt Apple:

It looks like it'll have a 3.2 to 3.4 inch 480 x 360 (4:3) screen, which will be about the same area as the iPhone's screen. It also may implement a mechanical screen feedback like the iriver Clix/Lplayer, which I find somewhat interesting.

The GUI won't be good as Apple's iPhone, but the problem for Apple is RIM is entrenched in American business and becoming much better in the consumer game. IT departments are generally pro whatever they are used to - and Blackberry has been doing it for almost a decade - and are generally anti-Apple. So all it takes for Apple to fail in the Enterprise is a competitor that comes close to the iPhone 3G, and I think the Thunder may come close enough.

It will really be up to how well the Apple Enterprise sales department (if they have one) can sell and make deals with corporations.

The way I see cell phone dominance in the business place...

Palm came before RIM, RIM came before Apple (iPhone)....

Another thing to keep in mind is the development platform. Hands down, developers are (well seem to be) in love with developing for the iPhone OS. This will only create a beautiful application experience that will in turn only help bring new applications over to the Mac platform.

How easy is it to take an app from the RIM OS and port it over to the Mac OS? As developers start writing more and more for iPhone, we will see more and more applications for the Mac OS as they are using the same hardware and development platform to write each.

iPhone 2.0 is going to be the start of the death of the RIM era.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

The way I see cell phone dominance in the business place...

Palm came before RIM, RIM came before Apple (iPhone)....

Another thing to keep in mind is the development platform. Hands down, developers are (well seem to be) in love with developing for the iPhone OS. This will only create a beautiful application experience that will in turn only help bring new applications over to the Mac platform.

How easy is it to take an app from the RIM OS and port it over to the Mac OS? As developers start writing more and more for iPhone, we will see more and more applications for the Mac OS as they are using the same hardware and development platform to write each.

iPhone 2.0 is going to be the start of the death of the RIM era.

All RIM needs to do is "good enough". A lot of people think that if one company's technology is better, it'll mean it'll be more successful. This is not the case. The company with the best business plan is the one that will be more successful, and their technology is only one component of that.

RIM is really the 800 lb gorilla in the Enterprise. They've got everything on their side on the business end: infrastructure is set, sales team is good, customers (IT dept, CIOs) think they are the best, and they've got a big customer base that is familar with their devices. All they need to do with the Thunder is good enough, not better than the iPhone.

Contrast this with Apple which really doesn't have a good Enterprise sales team, they and Enterprise think they are anti-Enterprise, and don't have that many Enterprise customers using Apple products.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    this says a lot, i think rim in trouble this will tell developers not to waste there time, its messed up trying to out apple apple

the key to the iphone is the apps and os.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/17804/

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/09...is-a-joke.html
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    THT dont be so quick to assume this will be Apples only competition. We are yet to see S60's touch screen flagship which should surface shortly after Tube is released.

The Thunder looks nice though. I hope its more user friendly for watching videos ect.....If the UI is as nice as Apples then anything is possible.