Here's what the iPhone will cost me in WI

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm wondering exactly what the monthly charge is going to be (within a buck or two) for me if I decide to get the new phone. So I called ATT. This is what they told me.

I'm going to have an ETF with USCellular, of $150 but that's ok.

I'll also have the cost of the new phone, but I can offset that by selling my 16GB Touch.

The activation fees are $36 for my phone, $26 for my wife's phone, and $26 for my mother-in-law's phone.

The monthly fee looks to be as follows for the 1400 minute plan*:

Monthly fee = $100

Data plan = $30

200 Text messages = $5

Tax etc, according to ATT = $12.83

So, the upfront costs are $688 (iPhone, activations and ETF) -Touch sale of appx $200 = $488.

The monthly fees are $147.83, assuming that I don't overrun my minutes/texts.

To top it off, I don't live in, and rarely visit, a 3G area, so I'm paying for 3G without being able to use it.

I could buy a first generation iPhone, and only use the Edge service which would save me $15/mo, but I wouldn't have the gps feature, which I'd really like to have.

If only I could add an Internet package to my Touch - I'd be perfectly happy with a Touch and my USC phone.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    I am just going to save a ton of money and tme by simply mugging someone coming out of the store on Friday.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Yeah, if nothing else I just wish that they would have had the 3G plan separate from the rest of the bill. There is no 3G coverage anywhere near me (closest is Kansas City area, which is about an hour away). So, I'd be getting seriously screwed.

I don't understand why they can't do that... It would open up their customer base quite a bit - even though people like me wouldn't pay for the 3G, there's still the voice/data and texts.