Is It Legal To Sell My Place In The iPhone 3G Line?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello, this is regarding putting my place in the iPhone 3G line in the UK on sale on eBay. I might start lining up on Thursday morning for the London area.

My target at this stage is to be the first 20.

Due to being new to the UK, and the very annoying fact that there are no pay-as-you-go iPhone 3Gs, I will not be able to obtain it on contract. I still want to queue up for the fun of it, but as an equitable measure, I would like to be compensated for offering my place in line to somebody that would be interested in being in a prime position to get the iPhone 3G in the UK but who is not able to queue up.

To determine the fair market value of my eventual place in line when I start queuing up, I plan to put it on eBay UK. I would have to adjust the bidding time to end appropriately at a few hours before the official UK time launch on Friday. (edit: this would be a 24 hour eBay period, since 3 days is not suitable).

I aim to communicate all this on my live blog, given good broadband wireless free courtesy of the Apple Store which is offered to many. Battery power would be an issue... hmm...

If I give up my place in line then I can proceed upon the launch to take photos, document, continue blogging the London iPhone launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    By compensation I would mean cash for the following: camping supplies, possibly a "Selk" Bag ( http://www.pebble27.com/ ) , time, trouble, food supplies, transport expenses, any gratuity related to this.

Payment would have to be in pounds sterling since any tourists/ travellers may not be eligible for the contract, the buyer must be very confident of their credit history or have an existing O2 iPhone 2G contract, etc. etc.

I am also looking for a suitable job in the London area, I am here legally and legally allowed to work at any employment of my choosing. This would fund my continuing job search and attempt to be a productive member of UK society. In otherwords, I am not a bum. LOL.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    At the same time, if it is clear that I am only holding one place in line, not more than one, can family members take a "shift" for me while I, well, go to the toilet, sleep, etc.?

As in not legally so much, as, will the first 50 in the queue allow this? I think they would, because they would face very similar challenges, particularly the first 20 in the queue that (for London) may be queueing up as much as 36 or more hours in advance.

Feedback welcome...