LaCie 1TB drives; one hard drive?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So, my WD My Book Pro exploded, and I need a new drive. I'm looking a LaCie right now because the price is about right, but I DON'T WANT A DRIVE WITH TWO HARD DRIVES THAT HAVE BEEN STRIPED TOGETHER. I can't figure out which ones only contain one drive. Does anyone know which 1TB drives by LaCie contain ONLY ONE hard drive?

Thanks!

PS: If anyone knows of a better single disk 1TB solution for me, I'd be grateful as well!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    A little update... the LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ 301199U 1 TB measures in at 6.8 x 1.7 x 10.6 inches (HxWxD) and

weighs 5.5 pounds, while the 301827U d2 Quadra 1 TB is 1.7x6.3x6.8 inches (WxHxD) and weighs 3.31 pounds. There is no information about how many disks each drive has, but I think it's safe to say the the d2 Quadra only has one, right? It's $70 more expensive, but 4 inches shorter and over two pounds lighter. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone own these drives?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

A little update... the LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ 301199U 1 TB measures in at 6.8 x 1.7 x 10.6 inches (HxWxD) and

weighs 5.5 pounds, while the 301827U d2 Quadra 1 TB is 1.7x6.3x6.8 inches (WxHxD) and weighs 3.31 pounds. There is no information about how many disks each drive has, but I think it's safe to say the the d2 Quadra only has one, right? It's $70 more expensive, but 4 inches shorter and over two pounds lighter. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone own these drives?

I own an extreme 1TB drive. I can confirm that it has two drives in it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Okay, there's a start. So that's not the one I want I guess. Can anyone confirm that there is only 1 drive in the d2 Quadra? After all, it's half as big as the other one; I can only assume it must contain only one drive, but I'd like to know for sure.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    I don't know the quadra, but I had a 750 GB Lacie D2, and it was two smaller drives back to back (i.e. twice the length of the single drive D2 units). I'd also add that I've had four D2's (two single disk, the dual disk, and a DVD writer), and all the disk units were dead within a year.

Presently they work for 20 minutes or so until they get warm, then die again. I suspect D2 thermals aren't so clever, although they look *really* nice. No problems with any other Lacie stuff mind - I'm presently sold on an "IcyBox" product (http://scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=387509) that you just slot a SATA drive into the front of, and buy whatever disk you like.

Not as pretty as a D2, but economical and very straightforward.

Cheers,

Martin.