If I buy a new Macbook can I use the Leopard OS X to update my imac G5 too?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If I buy a NEW macbook, can I use the included Leopard OSX 10.5 disc to update my G5 imac which is loaded with OSX 10.4.11???



I don't want to have to buy ANOTHER OSX 10.5 disc for my imac for $129 if I'm gonna be able to use the one that comes with my macbook.



Also same thing for ilife 08......It comes on new macs right? So if I buy the macbook can I transfer it to my imac too?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    No. The DVD that comes with the new computer is a restore disc, not an install disc, and it's probably x86 only on top of that.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 875member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post


    If I buy a NEW macbook, can I use the included Leopard OSX 10.5 disc to update my G5 imac which is loaded with OSX 10.4.11???



    I don't want to have to buy ANOTHER OSX 10.5 disc for my imac for $129 if I'm gonna be able to use the one that comes with my macbook.



    Also same thing for ilife 08......It comes on new macs right? So if I buy the macbook can I transfer it to my imac too?



    When you buy a new computer you are buying a license for one machine. The same goes if you buy the OS separately, it's for one machine. If you want to buy for more than one, then you have to pay for volume licensing, such as a 5 user family pack. To do otherwise is both unethical and illegal. The common name for that is "pirating".
  • Reply 3 of 6
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post


    When you buy a new computer you are buying a license for one machine. The same goes if you buy the OS separately, it's for one machine. If you want to buy for more than one, then you have to pay for volume licensing, such as a 5 user family pack. To do otherwise is both unethical and illegal. The common name for that is "pirating".



    No it is not. The common term for that is "breaking your license agreement" not piracy. Making a copy of the OS and selling it on would be piracy, simply putting it onto another machine is not.



    You can put it onto another machine if you want, you will not be a pirate but you will be breaking the agreement you made with Apple when you bought your machine and if Steve Jobs ever came round to your house for dinner and found out what you were doing he would probably get annoyed and sue you. Other than that though you are probably OK.



    I bought the Leopard upgrade for my MBP and have to be honest ended up putting it on my wives MB too, I have not been made to walk the plank yet.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post


    If I buy a NEW macbook, can I use the included Leopard OSX 10.5 disc to update my G5 imac which is loaded with OSX 10.4.11???



    I don't want to have to buy ANOTHER OSX 10.5 disc for my imac for $129 if I'm gonna be able to use the one that comes with my macbook.



    Also same thing for ilife 08......It comes on new macs right? So if I buy the macbook can I transfer it to my imac too?



    Two things. You are not paying much for the iLife 08 in the box, nor I think too much for the Leopard installer DVD. If things go wrong, and they have been known to do so, you can get support and possibly some recompense/service from Apple.



    Gone are the days with the classic Mac, where any old system with the appropriate support files could be both installed and fixed if things went pear shaped. OSX is far more complex, although there are still the old Apple restrictions as to what OS can be installed on what hardware. This is not Windows we are talking about!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 875member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post


    No it is not. The common term for that is "breaking your license agreement" not piracy. Making a copy of the OS and selling it on would be piracy, simply putting it onto another machine is not.



    You can put it onto another machine if you want, you will not be a pirate but you will be breaking the agreement you made with Apple when you bought your machine and if Steve Jobs ever came round to your house for dinner and found out what you were doing he would probably get annoyed and sue you. Other than that though you are probably OK.



    I bought the Leopard upgrade for my MBP and have to be honest ended up putting it on my wives MB too, I have not been made to walk the plank yet.





    That's because of two things. First, you have not been caught, and likely won't be, with current Apple OS software. However, if Apple ever decides to go the same route as Adobe, and put activation limits on the OS, then you won't be able to do that any longer.



    Second, you've demonstrated, on a public forum, your disregard for the law, and your lack of ethics. People like you are EXACTLY why Adobe puts limits on the number of activations, and that makes it a PITA for us legitimate users when we need more than TWO activation numbers. You must be proud.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mr fishmr fish Posts: 31member
    I just bought a Macbook and installed everything just fine.



    The next upgrade to any software, I am buying the Family pack.
Sign In or Register to comment.