There should be an app store for Mac OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Think how convenient it would be to have the same sort of system Apple is implementing for the iPhone and touch for Macs, a program that lets you download apps for Mac OS X. Implementing it exactly the same way they did for the iPhone, except a dedicated program instead of through iTunes, would eliminate the problem of limited in store availability of Mac apps, make it so you only have to give credit info to apple. I think it could be a great way to get programs for Mac OS X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    What would be the incentive for a developer versus just putting it up as a download on your web site?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What would be the incentive for a developer versus just putting it up as a download on your web site?

Recognition I suppose but there are already sites like VersionTracker that collect a huge variety of apps and even Apple's site has a collection of 3rd party stuff.

I don't suppose it could do any harm and it would be an easily recognized conduit for people to find software.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

For me, I fell more secure buying stuff from Apple vs giving my credit card info to some small unknown (in many cases) company.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    The only reason there is an apps store for the iPhone is because Apple wants to have control over what is running on the iPhone. For Mac OS they care less.