CPU the same for iPhone 3G?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hey folks,

Very knowledgeable community here! I had heard early on that Apple was not going to do anything in the way of CPU upgrades from gen1 to gen2 iPhone, causing some to dispute that iPhone 3G is really just iPhone gen1 + 3G (and gps) rather than a true 2nd generation iPhone. So is it true that the 3G has the same CPU as the original?

Any speculation that apple may refresh the chipset within a year and what that chipset may be?

I read up on the ultra mobile version of the Atom but it wasn't clear if that was going to be targeted at a PDA device (with no phone capability). Also, since apple just bought that chip design firm and said they will be used to design future ipod/iphone chips then when might we see that actually happening and will they be the NEXT iphone chipset?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wonderbread View Post

Hey folks,

Very knowledgeable community here! I had heard early on that Apple was not going to do anything in the way of CPU upgrades from gen1 to gen2 iPhone, causing some to dispute that iPhone 3G is really just iPhone gen1 + 3G (and gps) rather than a true 2nd generation iPhone. So is it true that the 3G has the same CPU as the original?

It is true.