Account not admin...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, I am currently serving in Iraq aswell with my fiancee. During our R&R leave i baught a Macbook Pro and she baught a Macbook. We are now here and I LOVE MY MBP! She is having a problem with her MB. It frustrates me because its making her not love it anymore Well, onto the problem. When she tries to install new software it says she needs and admin name and pw. She tried hers forever and it did not work. I then read to use the install disk to reset the pw. I was lucky enough to see her today and we tried that. She was able to reset the pw and also for the Root account. When she then tried to install programs, it wont let her with her name. but when she puts root and the pw it works! so im guessing her name account is not admin. how do i make hers admin? thankyou very much guys

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    First look in the System Preferences under Accounts what kind of user she is. There is her user name and a little text saying "My Account" above it. Under the user name is the type of account.

Usually the first Account on a Mac is an Admin account, as the will be mostly one user on most normal Macs.

If there are more than one account, check them out.

Also find out if the short name is different from the user name.

For example I have a user named "spinnerlys" on my iBook, but whenever the Mac OS asks for my password it shows the username "Luces Umbrarum".

So maybe there is confusion.

Or no password at all.