Can't restart after system update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
System update to 10.5.4 without difficulty. Today I followed instructions for Mobile Me system update. Then attempted restart. Now start up sequence stops with gray screen and spinning gear. I ran disk utility from Leopard start-up disk- no problem found. Still can't start from Mac Hard drive. What to do next?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajb723 View Post

System update to 10.5.4 without difficulty. Today I followed instructions for Mobile Me system update. Then attempted restart. Now start up sequence stops with gray screen and spinning gear. I ran disk utility from Leopard start-up disk- no problem found. Still can't start from Mac Hard drive. What to do next?

Boot in verbose mode and read the output to discover what is hanging.

Then reboot into single user mode and fix it, if possible.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajb723 View Post

I had the same problem,

i ended up doing a erase and install to fix the problem

i had everything backed up in time machine anyway so it was not too much trouble