Can the iPod Touch do the basics?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I bought a Nano 2nd gen a year ago. I primarily use it while running and primarily listen to podcasts. I also like to make on-the-go playlists to queue up podcasts and music before or during my run.

A week ago I decided to upgrade to a 32GB Touch, figuring it would do everything the Nano does plus a whole lot more.

Unfortunately, the Touch disappoints in a couple of fundamental ways. I had hoped to find fixes in the App Store, but no luck yet.

PODCASTS [This is a BIG disappointment.]

With my Nano, I keep pressing the center button to find the detailed information about the podcast. Apparently, this information is unavailable with the Touch???

[Seems like this would require only a simple script to copy the podcast description and paste it into the "Lyrics" section of "Get Info" when the podcast is downloaded. Not an elegant solution, but sufficient.]

ON-THE-GO PLAYLIST

To make my on-the-go playlist, I use the Nano search to find specific songs, albums, artists, podcasts, etc. I can't find a "search" function on my Touch just for MY music/podcasts. Does a search function exist on the Touch?

RUNNING

With the Touch strapped to my arm, it's easier to see all displays in landscape format. I can't figure out how to lock it in "landscape".

Has anyone found utilities/work-arounds in the App Store or elsewhere to correct these shortcomings? Is there a way to suggest apps to App Store developers?

I love the WiFi, Safari, the mail app. But if the Touch can't do the basic stuff that the Nano can, the Touch is going back.