Themes in X? :

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
when you download a .sit file with a theme in it, how do you use this file to install the theme?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Unstuff the file. You should have a folder unstuffed with a .theme or .dlta extenstion.

Download <a href="http://www.conundrumsoft.com/Duality/duality.html"; target="_blank">Duality</a>

When it starts for the first time, it will create a "Themes" folder in /Library.

Drop the theme folder (.theme or .dlta or .iconset etc etc) into there.

Duality currently has a problem with me in that it only works when launched as root. The next version should fix this.

Barto
  • Reply 2 of 20
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    thanks for the great info!

is that the main program everyone uses for themes in X? is that the ONLY prog.?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    It's the only program that works well(ish) in Mac OS X 10.1.5

There was MetamorphX, but it was abandoned. Only works in Mac OS X Public Beta/10.0 basically.

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14328&db=mac"; target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14328&db=mac</a>;

Thats the VT page for Themer. It has a god-awful interface, and requires Internet Explorer (which I deleted), so I can't tell you if it works.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 20
    yurin8oryurin8or Posts: 120member
    why theme osx? leave theming to those os's with godforsaken UI's...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Aqua maybe "lickable", but different people have different tastes.

Aqua is refined, but there are other refined themes out there like AlumiteX (do a search), to suit people with different tastes.

Also, its about being an individual. Don't insult people because they choose to "Think Different". Go buy a Wintel box if you want to do that

Barto
  • Reply 6 of 20
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    thanks barto for all the info.!

Will dl duality & check out some themes out there........

*fyi: i DO like the aqua interface, just wondering how I could theme if I chose to do so *
  • Reply 7 of 20
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I remember seeing this one theme in someones "Post your desktop!!!" thing, it was basically exactly the same as normal aqua except instead of the pinstripes everywhere it was smoooooth...anyone know what that theme is and where I can get it?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    <a href="http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/"; target="_blank">http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/</a>;

Need a theme? Check resexcellence out. They have it all.

Silverfox, which comes with Duality, is probably the aqua-without-pinstripes theme you are thinking of.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I forget where the theme I got was from, but let me tell you, the "Milk" theme (compatible with Duality, a great program already mentioned) is fantastic. Very clean. Very white. If you own an ibook or a snow or g4 imac, get this theme, 'cause it completely compliments the white stylings. Of course, I run it on my original rev. a imac, because a) it's really well done, and b) it turns off the transparency effect in pull-down menus, which speeds some functions up considerably. Search for it, i'm sure it'll come up.

-everyplace
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I once had a theme called circular blue widgets but then my computer crashed a while back and I lost it. I havent been able to find it anware again for the life of me. If anyone has a copy or a link of it please let me know I will love you for ever.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    [quote] Need a theme? Check resexcellence out. They have it all. <hr></blockquote>

Ummm no, it seems that AI has pretty much been devoid of all Theme conversation and news. You want themes? Go to <a href="http://www.interfacestudio.net"; target="_blank">iStudio</a>

They have almost every theme out.

Oh and to make your own themes, try <a href="http://www.geekspiff.com/software"; target="_blank">ThemePark</a> (website is having some issues as of now but it IS there.)

Mac Guru
  • Reply 12 of 20
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Yeah I tried to make my own theme with ThemePark once. It seemed like it would be a great proect, until I spent a good 45 minutes changing A LOT of 20 pixel inages one by one, just to test it and see that I made new window buttons that looked like crap. maybe i'll keep working on that..
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Didn't know about that. But the site is not for 56k users (like me). The themes are all on one page, and less compression is used than Resexcellence.

Resexcellence has most of the themes there.

Check out "Discreet" on iStudio. It's like Aqua only stripeless, like Silverfox, but an overall white instead of grey.

I'm using silvermode, which rocks. But milk won't load in duality! I says "can't create aqua. Theme change cancelled". Does anyone else have this?

Idea for Apple: Scrap graphite/blue widgits, and have single greyscale images. Then, have the general system preference for setting a color, which is imposed on the greyscale image.

Idea for Apple that will never happen: Bring themes back! Please?!

Barto

[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: Barto ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I'm running a theme that gives me 10.2 aqua interface in 10.1.5. It's fantastic!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I have the same thing, but all it is is the Extras.rsrc file stolen out a Jaguar installation.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by iBrowse:

<strong>I have the same thing, but all it is is the Extras.rsrc file stolen out a Jaguar installation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've got it too. I like it a lot better than the original Aqua.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    iStudio didn't have the theme I want...and my God Milk is horrid...im talking plain Aqua without pinstripes, no more mods!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    [quote] iStudio didn't have the theme I want <hr></blockquote>

Well if iStudio don't got it, it probably doesn't exist (with the exception of those ugly DogPaw themes) If it isn't there, and you want it? Make it and release it, chances are, you'll be a hero to someone else that wanted the same but didn't speak up.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 19 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>iStudio didn't have the theme I want...and my God Milk is horrid...im talking plain Aqua without pinstripes, no more mods!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then Smooth Stripes is the sh!t for you, mate. I've been using it since it came out, and it made plain Aqua start to look horrid in my eyes.. =) Plus, it eliminates menu transparency to add a bit of speed to the system.

But just today (after visiting that great iSite, thx man) I switched to AlumiteX[A] and hasn't looked back. This theme's sweeet, real purdy and has some really cool animations (progress bars and chasing arrows). Try that one out too before you decide. It's very different from Aqua but still worth looking at. It looks more like a well-constructed Linux theme (A paradox, I know =).

Cheers m8!

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: Whyatt Thrash ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 20
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    [quote]Originally posted by His Dudeness:

<strong>I'm running a theme that gives me 10.2 aqua interface in 10.1.5. It's fantastic!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm .. where did you get it, what's the name of it